- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Shakira in Israel to promote education platform
JERUSALEM (AP) - Colombian pop singer Shakira promoted her global education campaign with a stop at a joint Israeli-Arab school in Jerusalem on Tuesday.
Kicking off Israel’s third annual President’s Conference on Tuesday with a plea for children’s education worldwide, Shakira, a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador, said the Holy Land was the “perfect place to talk about how urgent it is to invest in education.”
“The most crucial decision we can make for a better tomorrow is how we educate our children,” she said, speaking alongside her host, Israeli President Shimon Peres.
“How wonderful it would be if the world would act like a team. We have so many challenges ahead of us, so many problems to solve,” she said. “This is the time to behave like a team, to wear the same T-shirts and to win the match of discrimination, to win the match of inequality and segregation.”
Shakira, 34, whose many multilingual hits include “Hips Don’t Lie,” “Whenever, Wherever,” and “Waka, Waka,” has established a number of charitable foundations dedicated toward advancing education.
She was born Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll in Colombia and has Lebanese heritage.
Shakira began her comments alongside with a single “shalom” _ Hebrew for both hello and peace _ and after a young girl presented her with a necklace, she said “toda” _ Hebrew for thanks.
The previous day, Shakira visited Jerusalem’s Western Wall, the holiest site where Jews can pray.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.