- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
Padres shut out 3-0 at home by Rockies
Question of the Day
San Diego had runners on second and third with one out in the first, but Mortensen struck out Ryan Ludwick and Brad Hawpe to end the inning.
Chase Headley extended his career-high hitting streak to 16 games with a first-inning single.
NOTES: The Rockies have scored three runs or less in 12 of the last 13 games. … Colorado reliever Rex Brothers made his major league debut in the seventh inning. … Colorado CF Dexter Fowler (abdomen discomfort) sat out his second straight game after playing in the first 57. … Rockies manager Jim Tracy moved slumping OF Carlos Gonzalez into the leadoff slot from the No. 3 hole in the batting order. Tracy said the move was to jump start the struggling Gonzalez, who struck out four times in Sunday’s loss at San Francisco. For the three-game series, Gonzalez was 2 for 11 with seven strikeouts. … Padres 1B Brad Hawpe played RF for the first time this season. Hawpe, who played right field almost exclusively for seven seasons with Colorado and Tampa Bay, had played just nine games at 1B before this season.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq