- Obama military downsizing leaves U.S. too weak to counter global threats, panel finds
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Va. schools decry high cost of new PE requirement
Question of the Day
Last month, the Fairfax School Board and four Fairfax County delegates sent letters to Mr. McDonnell urging a veto.
Delegate Timothy D. Hugo, Clifton Republican, blames school districts for what he sees as a tardy reaction to the legislation.
“Fairfax County did a poor job of letting the delegates and senators know this was a problem,” said Mr. Hugo, who joined fellow Republican delegates David B. Albo of Springfield, Barbara J. Comstock of Fairfax and Thomas Davis Rust of Herndon in sending the letter to Mr. McDonnell.
“The real problem is that these school boards didn’t get engaged on it,” Mr. Albo said. “They never really lobbied hard, so we had to, kind of on the fly, create enough stink to get some no votes on it.”
Mr. Jones admitted that the VEA did not oppose the bill until Jan. 31 — midway through the legislative session. Once it became apparent that it wouldn’t be accompanied by state funding, there was “gnashing of teeth,” he said.
“If you ask, should we provide more PE, everyone says, ‘Yes,’” Mr. Jones said. “But then if you turn around and ask the question, ‘Should we provide more PE but students won’t get any computer instruction?’ that’s different.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- A familiar fading feeling for McMahon in Connecticut
- Romney’s bid to undo health law faces hurdles
- Hill GOP presses Medicare probe
- Romney, Obama advisors butt heads over binders, Big Bird and “Romnesia”
- Iran talks not set up, Obama’s camp says
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Feds accept boredom, lack of work as excuses for surfing porn on clock
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world