- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
NATO fuel tanker explodes in Pakistan, killing 15
This year, officials have said the U.S. presence in Pakistan has been scaled back, and joint operations suspended. Some of the chill is related to the bin Laden raid, but some of it dates to January, when an American CIA contractor shot dead two Pakistanis he said were trying to rob him. The incident angered the Pakistani army, but the American was freed after his victims’ relatives accepted compensation.
The U.S. cables referred to some of the sites where the cooperation occurred as “fusion centers.” In April 2009, for instance, there was U.S. involvement in intelligence gathering for the Pakistani military operation in Lower Dir, which preceded a major offensive in the Swat Valley.
The U.S. appeared keen on increasing its involvement to include assistance on the ground in battle zones.
The cables included apparent references to at least one case in which U.S. troops did provide assistance in a conflict zone, that of the Pakistani operation in Bajur tribal region in fall 2009.
That instance has previously been referenced in media reports about earlier cables released through Wikileaks. Those reports also described small U.S. troop deployments in South Waziristan and North Waziristan, where the Americans offered intelligence, surveillance and other assistance, including coordinating U.S. missile strikes.
Associated Press Writer Nahal Toosi in Islamabad and Mohammad Farooq in Karachi contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Eric Cantor rejects latest Obama immigration outreach
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.