- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Umpire Mark Wegner injured in Giants-Brewers game
MILWAUKEE (AP) - Home plate umpire Mark Wegner was helped off the field after tearing the calf muscle in his right leg with two outs in the bottom of the eighth of Saturday’s game between San Francisco and Milwaukee.
The 39-year-old Wegner doubled over, but never went to the ground. Brewers trainer Roger Caplinger came out to assist him and he was helped off the field, putting very little pressure on the right leg.
A Brewers spokesman says Wegner will return home to Florida for a doctor’s evaluation to determine how long he’ll be out and if surgery is needed. Adrian Johnson will join the crew on Sunday.
Among Wegner’s notable assignments were the 2007 NL Championship Series and the 2008 All-Star Game at Yankee Stadium.
The game restarted after a 12-minute delay with second-base umpire Mike Everitt behind the plate and crew chief Mike Winters and Mike Muchlinski in the field.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EDITORIAL: Harry Reid's corrupt Senate house of cards
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again