- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
- Brit lawmaker: I would fire on Israel if I lived in Gaza
- VA apologizes to forgotten Marine veteran locked in Fla. clinic, forced to call 911
- U.S. social and economic trends on worrisome track, survey finds
- McDonald nomination unanimously referred to full Senate
- Chuck Norris honorary chairman of NRA voter registration campaign
Resale of the week: Roomy Takoma Park foursquare
Question of the Day
A grand 1920s-era foursquare with impressive architectural features, including high ceilings and generously sized rooms, is on the market in Takoma Park.
The home sits on a friendly-looking tree-lined street of million-dollar homes. The walkway leads to a dramatic wraparound front porch with columns that stretches across the width of the home. This expansive porch is a great place to chat with neighbors — the owners have made it home to rocking chairs and a small table-and-chairs set.
Prominently situated on a large corner lot at 7701 Takoma Ave., the house is listed for $895,000. Its stucco-and-red-brick exterior is enhanced by a large balcony above the front porch.
It has plenty of curb appeal, but the rear of the house is equally impressive. In addition to the front driveway with lots of parking, the home’s rear has a second driveway that leads directly to the one-car garage.
Also in the back of the home is a large deck for relaxing or entertaining, with a patio underneath. The yard is close to a half-acre and is home to mature trees and plenty of lush greenery.
The owners have lived in the home for more than 40 years, meticulously caring for the four-bedroom, three-bath residence.
This house has a great flow from room to room and offers plenty of spaces in which to entertain. Upon entering the home, guests are greeted in a room-size entry foyer with a grand staircase leading to the second level.
The living room features hardwood floors and a stunning white masonry fireplace for keeping warm on cold winter nights. The arched fireplace is flanked by built-in shelves with glass doors and windows with stained-glass designs.
A sunlit formal dining room features detailed molding, a sophisticated chandelier and openings into the living room and nearby kitchen. This room also has hardwood floors. A bonus feature of this room is the set of glass doors that offers easy access to the porch.
The kitchen is an eclectic mix of old and new. The wood cabinetry and white tile floors are a great contrast in this fun dine-in kitchen. White wallpaper and a brown tile backsplash cover the walls, and a ceiling fan with a light fixture hangs high above the kitchen table.
The owners added a newer cooktop, stainless steel built-in oven and stainless steel dishwasher. This kitchen makes good use of its space, tucking the refrigerator into an alcove.
The main level also is home to a convenient home office that easily could double as a library or children’s playroom. A full-sized, porchlike laundry room on the rear of the home is enclosed by walls of windows.
All four bedrooms are on the upper level and have hardwood floors. The two facing the front of the home have doors offering access onto the large balcony.
One of the bedrooms has wood-paneled walls and currently is being used as an upper-level family room. The bedrooms share two full baths, both of which have pedestal sinks and mirrored walls. The third full bath is on the main level.
For even more storage or living space, a set of stairs leads to a finished attic. There also is a huge unfinished walk-out basement.
The home is in a convenient location with a park nearby and easy strolls to the quaint shops of Takoma Park, the Takoma Metro station and downtown Silver Spring.
Address: 7701 Takoma Ave., Takoma Park, MD 20912
Community: Takoma Park
Age: Built in 1928
Lot size: .42 acres
Exterior features: Four-square home with stucco exterior, large wraparound front porch, second-level balcony, columns at front entrance, landscaped corner lot, one-car garage, long driveway, parking pad
Interior features: four bedrooms, three full baths, high ceilings, unique architectural features, generously sized rooms, wood floors, newer stainless steel appliances, detailed moldings
Amenities: Wood-burning fireplace
Schools: Takoma Park Elementary, Takoma Park Middle, Montgomery Blair High
Close by: Library, community center, Takoma Park Metro, Takoma Park Co-op, Old Town Takoma Park, parks, shopping, dining
Open house: By appointment
Contact: Meg Finn of Long & Foster at 240/497-1700, Ext. 1721
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
- Netanyahu's Wikipedia page replaced with giant Palestinian flag
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Democratic Sen. John Walsh plagiarized War College master's thesis: report
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- FIELDS: A tale of a boy, a Bible and a gun
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq