- Sen. Rob Portman: Math is on GOP’s side to win Senate this fall
- Four-time deportee arrested for molesting 9-year-old Texas girl
- Private investigators turn to drones to catch marital cheaters, insurance liars
- Sleep issues can accelerate Alzheimer’s, while mental exercises can delay it, study shows
- IPad metal — nickel — faulted for causing allergic rashes
- Rand Paul to Rick Perry on Iraq: Get some new glasses
- ‘Fact-Checker’ blog takes on Dems for their comments on Hobby Lobby decision
- Babe Ruth’s 1918 contract sells for $1.02M at auction
- Citigroup to pay $7B to settle subprime mortgage case
- Archie to be shot saving gay friend in comic book
BLACKWELL: Occupiers, the new village idiots
Obama’s embrace of protesters’ wacky behavior will cost him votes
Question of the Day
Leftists are fascinated by the Occupy Wall Street protesters because, for generations, their organizing principle hasn’t changed. It was best stated in 1901 by future Soviet dictator Vladimir Lenin in his newspaper Iskra (the Spark): “Our task is to utilize every manifestation of discontent and to gather and turn to the best account every protest, however small. … Concentrate all droplets of popular resentment. Combine all these streamlets into a single gigantic torrent.”
More recently, Saul Alinsky taught much the same thing to many who now cannot resist applauding the occupiers.
That old strategy won’t work in America today. Most experienced political analysts predict that Mr. Obama cannot be re-elected unless our national economy improves dramatically before November 2012.
More government can’t generate the growth necessary to save the left in next year’s election. Even if it could, the current Congress would defeat any major attempts to increase government spending and government control of the economy.
The ironic fact is that the Occupy Wall Street protesters will, to the extent that they vilify profits and shame and frighten employers and prospective employers, discourage private investment in new activity, which alone can create new jobs. By linking himself and his allies to these protests, Mr. Obama is scaring job creators and damaging his chance of re-election, not building his base of support. Fortunately, there aren’t enough idiots out there.
Morton C. Blackwell is president of the Leadership Institute and the national committeeman of the Republican Party of Virginia.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Get Breaking Alerts
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Sen. John McCain on illegal child immigrants: Fly them home, now
- EDITORIAL: The faux farmer in the Senate race in Iowa
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- Eric Holder: 'Racial animus' fuels opposition to Obama and me
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals