- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
Festivities, food … and one big curly ‘W’ for Nationals in home opener
Question of the Day
A reporter from WUSA-TV (Channel 9) waited to eat one for a story and wondered if she could make it through a pound.
Near the center field gate, two vendors chased opening-day pennants knocked from their stands by the wind. Every 30 or so seconds, they let out half-hearted cries of “programs.” They had no business.
The wind continued as the sun fell and the fans, some wearing Mets, White Sox and Red Sox caps, rose. In the 10th inning, Ryan Zimmerman streaked home after a wild pitch and the game was over. Streaks of blue empty seats disappeared as fans jumped up and down and waved arms.
Baseball was back.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- FENNO: Indignation is all Mike Shanahan has left
- FENNO: Honestly, Mike Shanahan, why should we believe you now?
- Robert Griffin III surprised at being benched by Mike Shanahan
- FENNO: High schooler Chris Cotillo balances MLB scoops, Spanish homework
Latest Blog Entries
By Michael P. Orsi
- Calling prison term disparities unfair, Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Outrage over Phil Robertson suspension, 'malignant' political correctness
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow