- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
BAUER: Obama boils the racial pot for political gain
Seventeen-year-old Trayvon Martin and neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman had a confrontation on a dark street in Sanford, Fla., last month. There was a fight, and Mr. Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, fatally shot Trayvon, who was black.
Trayvon’s parents received the news that every parent dreads when the phone rings late at night: Their son was dead. Mr. Zimmerman’s friends and family say he was distraught and wept for days over the fact that he had taken a life in what he says was self-defense.
Sadly, the political left, big media and an assortment of race baiters like Al Sharpton have rushed to judgment, attempting to exploit the pain of this tragic confrontation for their own ideological agendas. Even sadder, the president is exploiting the tragedy for his own political purposes.
This unholy alliance didn’t say a word about the 49 people who were shot - 10 fatally - in Chicago during one weekend this month. Virtually all of the victims were black, as were the shooters. Where was the outrage?
Where was their outrage when another black Florida teenager, Shawn Tyson, motivated by racial hatred, murdered two British tourists who had wandered into his neighborhood?
In the Sanford shooting, the media immediately adopted the narrative that it was further evidence of the rampant racism in America, even though both men were racial minorities and Mr. Zimmerman comes from a biracial family and has numerous black friends.
The New Black Panther Party saw its chance to add to the hate by calling on black men to volunteer to track down Mr. Zimmerman. It even offered a $10,000 reward for him - dead or alive.
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.’s Justice Department announced that it would investigate the Sanford Police Department - but it was silent about the Panthers’ call for vigilante justice.
Predictably, President Obama jumped in, too, even though he has no more information than anyone else. His comments followed to the letter the left-wing script - pointing out that we have to get justice in the case because if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon.
And his point was what? Absent evidence that the shooting was racially motivated, the fact that Trayvon was black is irrelevant.
Sadly, Mr. Obama, whom millions of Americans had hoped would bring racial reconciliation, has a well-established pattern of stoking the fires of racial antagonism. Remember in July 2009 when Mr. Obama, admitting he didn’t know the facts of the case, accused Cambridge, Mass., police of acting “stupidly” when they arrested his friend Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates? Then he cited the “long history” of police mistreatment of minorities. The facts of that case ultimately supported the cops whom Mr. Obama had accused of acting “stupidly.”
The legacy of racial discrimination haunts America. The overwhelming majority of Americans of all races want reconciliation. They also want good schools, safe streets, strong families and national healing.
It is sad and infuriating that so many left-wing ideologues are willing to fan the flames of racial discord, incite vigilante justice and exploit racial division for political gain.
Trayvon and George Zimmerman deserve justice delivered in a fair trial with an unbiased jury, something the left has made far more difficult. America deserves political leadership that tries to heal our national wounds instead of rubbing them raw.
We don’t yet know what happened on that day. We may never know. But we have a pretty good idea why Mr. Obama spoke up.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws