- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
BAUER: Obama boils the racial pot for political gain
Question of the Day
Seventeen-year-old Trayvon Martin and neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman had a confrontation on a dark street in Sanford, Fla., last month. There was a fight, and Mr. Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, fatally shot Trayvon, who was black.
Trayvon’s parents received the news that every parent dreads when the phone rings late at night: Their son was dead. Mr. Zimmerman’s friends and family say he was distraught and wept for days over the fact that he had taken a life in what he says was self-defense.
Sadly, the political left, big media and an assortment of race baiters like Al Sharpton have rushed to judgment, attempting to exploit the pain of this tragic confrontation for their own ideological agendas. Even sadder, the president is exploiting the tragedy for his own political purposes.
This unholy alliance didn’t say a word about the 49 people who were shot - 10 fatally - in Chicago during one weekend this month. Virtually all of the victims were black, as were the shooters. Where was the outrage?
Where was their outrage when another black Florida teenager, Shawn Tyson, motivated by racial hatred, murdered two British tourists who had wandered into his neighborhood?
In the Sanford shooting, the media immediately adopted the narrative that it was further evidence of the rampant racism in America, even though both men were racial minorities and Mr. Zimmerman comes from a biracial family and has numerous black friends.
The New Black Panther Party saw its chance to add to the hate by calling on black men to volunteer to track down Mr. Zimmerman. It even offered a $10,000 reward for him - dead or alive.
Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.’s Justice Department announced that it would investigate the Sanford Police Department - but it was silent about the Panthers’ call for vigilante justice.
Predictably, President Obama jumped in, too, even though he has no more information than anyone else. His comments followed to the letter the left-wing script - pointing out that we have to get justice in the case because if he had a son, he would look like Trayvon.
And his point was what? Absent evidence that the shooting was racially motivated, the fact that Trayvon was black is irrelevant.
Sadly, Mr. Obama, whom millions of Americans had hoped would bring racial reconciliation, has a well-established pattern of stoking the fires of racial antagonism. Remember in July 2009 when Mr. Obama, admitting he didn’t know the facts of the case, accused Cambridge, Mass., police of acting “stupidly” when they arrested his friend Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates? Then he cited the “long history” of police mistreatment of minorities. The facts of that case ultimately supported the cops whom Mr. Obama had accused of acting “stupidly.”
The legacy of racial discrimination haunts America. The overwhelming majority of Americans of all races want reconciliation. They also want good schools, safe streets, strong families and national healing.
It is sad and infuriating that so many left-wing ideologues are willing to fan the flames of racial discord, incite vigilante justice and exploit racial division for political gain.
Trayvon and George Zimmerman deserve justice delivered in a fair trial with an unbiased jury, something the left has made far more difficult. America deserves political leadership that tries to heal our national wounds instead of rubbing them raw.
We don’t yet know what happened on that day. We may never know. But we have a pretty good idea why Mr. Obama spoke up.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
President wants everyone but himself to pay more
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Afghan who killed three U.S. Marines in 2012 to serve over 7-year prison sentence
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title