- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
AP Source: Strahan close to deal with ‘Live!’
Michael Strahan is in talks to be named co-host of "Live!" beside Kelly Ripa.
Strahan, 40, a former NFL star and currently a host of "Fox NFL Sunday," was in negotiations to be named as replacement for Regis Philbin, according to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity because the source was not authorized to speak about the negotiations.
Broadcasting & Cable, citing multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, said ABC was expected to announce him as co-host in early September.
The syndicated weekday show has left Ripa without a permanent co-host since Philbin left the show in November 2011. Since then, she has welcomed 59 guest co-hosts, some of whom, including Strahan, were under consideration for the permanent job. Strahan has made several guest appearances this year.
A spokeswoman for "Live!" declined to comment on Philbin's replacement.
On Monday, Disney-ABC Domestic Television had said Ripa will officially announce her new partner as he or she joins her on stage for the Sept. 4 broadcast.
Strahan, a former NFL defensive star, also headlined a shortlived Fox sitcom, "Brothers," in 2009.
Philbin, the original "Live!" host, exited at age 80 after presiding more than 28 years alongside several co-hosts.
Ripa became his on-air partner in 2001.
Alicia Rancilio contributed to this report.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- CHELLANEY: China's game of chicken
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- 'Dude, I'm dreading that I will have to go': Czech prime minister on Mandela funeral
- New Internet security challenge arises for cybercops
- Wife of Obama aide found dead in burning car in home's garage
- Congress creates a legislative fortress for military sex-assault policy
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
"Critical thinking is thinking about your thinking while you're thinking in order to make your thinking better." - Dr. Richard Paul
Go beyond tourism's "top 10" bus tour destinations with Susan McKee as she explores the varied history, culture, food, and gardens, of the world.
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!