- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Padres sale agreement in place, needs MLB approval
Question of the Day
Tom Seidler is president of the Class A Visalia Rawhide.
Mickelson is a four-time major champion who was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in May.
After presiding over what had been baseball’s oldest family dynasty, Peter O'Malley sold the Dodgers to Rupert Murdoch’s Fox Group in March 1998 for about $311 million _ at the time the most ever paid for a U.S. sports franchise.
Walter O’Malley died in 1979.
By comparison, the Padres have been to two World Series, losing in 1984 and 1998.
Moores, who made a fortune in computer software, bought a majority stake in the Padres for approximately $80 million in December 1994 from a 15-member group headed by TV producer Tom Werner, who eight years later became chairman of the Boston Red Sox.
In November 1998, voters overwhelmingly approved the construction of Petco Park. The downtown ballpark didn’t open until 2004, however, due to lawsuits and a federal investigation into Moores‘ dealings with a city councilwoman.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- Eric Holder on Palin: 'She wasn't a particularly good vice presidential candidate'
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: 'It's fantastic'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs