- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
The All-Electric Toyota RAV4 EV
0-60 MPH in seven seconds, world’s most aerodynamic SUV
Question of the Day
The RAV4 EV incorporates all of the safety features of the conventional model: for the front occupants there are advanced airbags seat-mounted side airbags, and active headrests.First and second row roll-sensing side curtain airbags are also standard.
Like all Toyotas, the RAV4 EV comes standard with the STAR Safety System.On this vehicle this includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA) and Smart Stop Technology (SST).RAV4 EV also comes with a complimentary three-year trial subscription to Toyota Safety Connect.which includes Emergency Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Roadside Assistance, and Automatic Collision Notification.
There are several safety features that are unique to the RAV4 EV.The battery modules are encased in a structural pack surrounded by a four-sided extruded aluminum enclosure.Large aluminum rocker extrusions act as a structural attachment between the enclosure and the body as well as provide further impact protection. In addition, the chassis is specially designed to help protect the battery and inverter assemblies in the event of a collision.
On the exterior, RAV4 EV features upscale LED low beam projector headlights with halogen projector high beams.A manual leveling system allows drivers to redirect the headlights when the vehicle changes significantly in pitch due to a heavy load.Five vertical LEDs make up the daytime running lights, which dim to parking lights.The rear combination lights are LEDs accented by a unique light smoke outer lens.Other exterior variations from the gasoline powered RAV4 include new exterior emblems on the front, rear and the front door panel utilizing the signature Toyota “environmental blue.”
The vehicle will be available in late summer in three exterior colors: Blizzard Pearl, Shoreline Blue Pearl and Classic Silver Metallic.Fleet units also will be available in Super White.
Inside, a six-way adjustable driver-seat includes variable front seat heaters, which extend heater coverage to the occupant’s upper back.The seat heaters help reduce the need for the climate control system’s heat operation - saving power and increasing EV range. The split reclining rear seats with folding center arm rest fold flat for increased cargo space, with a total cargo capacity equivalent to the conventional RAV4 of 73 cu. ft. behind the front seats.
The highlight of the interior is a Toyota first; the IntelliTouch capacitive touch screen, featured on both the 8-inch navigation screen and climate control panel.The 8-inch, high-resolution, responsive touch- screen features a state of the art graphic display, with split screen capability for navigation, Entune and EV applications, and EV drive information and settings designed specifically for the RAV4 EV.The touch screen also allows map panning and list scrolling via flick operation similar to an iPhone
An all-new meter cluster includes the power meter, driving range, battery gauge, speedometer, shift indicator and multi-information display. The dash display color illuminates red when the vehicle is operating in sport mode and blue in normal driving mode. The multi-information display scrolls through six different screens that provide driver-performance feedback including driving range, trip efficiency, efficiency, ECO coach, CO2 reduction and AUX power.
Driving range displays an estimated range according to the amount of charge remaining in the traction battery along with the current air condition setting.
Trip efficiency displays the average power consumption in intervals of five minutes during a trip.Efficiency displays average power consumption since the function was reset as well as current power consumption.
Eco coach evaluates the level of eco-sensitive driving according to acceleration, speed and braking and displays an overall score.
CO2 reduction displays the amount of CO2 reduced compared to a conventional gasoline vehicle.
AUX power displays average 12-volt battery power consumption since the function was reset and the current trip’s 12-volt battery power consumption.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- KELLNER: It's not a Merry Christmas for the persecuted church
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- ORSI: No greater act of loyalty to the Constitution
- TRIPLETT: Shale revolution reality checks
- Obama sends 45 service members to South Sudan
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow