- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Economy Briefs: Exxon says U.S. energy revival has staying power
Question of the Day
NEW YORK | Exxon says the energy renaissance in the U.S. will continue and predicts that North America will become a net exporter of oil and gas by the middle of the next decade.
The oil and gas giant’s latest long-term energy outlook, released Tuesday, says the rapid growth of production in the U.S. and Canada, along with improved energy efficiency, will lead to more oil and gas being sent overseas.
Exxon Mobil Corp.’s annual outlook is noted by investors and policymakers, and the company says its conclusions shape its decisions about where to invest. The main conclusions dovetail with recent forecasts from the U.S. government and others.
Delta plans to form a joint venture with Virgin Atlantic so they can sell seats on each other’s flights, share the costs and profits, and set the flight schedules in ways that help both airlines. American Airlines has a similar deal with British Airways.
Amazon to collect sales tax from Mass. residents
BOSTON | Massachusetts retailers are hailing a deal reached between online seller Amazon.com and state officials to begin collecting the state’s 6.25 percent sales tax from Bay State residents who order items through the website.
Gov. Deval Patrick announced the agreement Tuesday, a deal long sought by owners of traditional “brick and mortar” stores in Massachusetts who say online tax-free purchases put them at a critical disadvantage since they are required to collect the tax on their products. They say the arrangement has amounted to an automatic 6.25 percent discount for online merchants that they can’t match.
Under the agreement, Amazon will start collecting the Massachusetts sales taxes Nov. 1, 2013.
Fidelity cuts fees at 8 index mutual funds
BOSTON | Fidelity Investments is trimming fees at its largest index mutual funds and making some of its lowest-cost options accessible to a larger number of fund shareholders, including those with as little as $2,500 to invest.
The moves announced Tuesday follow recent investment fee cuts involving mutual funds or exchange-traded funds at rivals such as Vanguard, BlackRock and Charles Schwab.
Fidelity’s moves affect mutual funds holding about $100 billion in assets, out of about $1.6 billion that the Boston-based company manages overall.
Yahoo revamps email to catch up with Gmail
SAN FRANCISCO | Yahoo is spiffing up and expanding its email service in an attempt to regain some of the ground lost to a Google alternative that lured away millions of users.
The changes unveiled Tuesday are meant to make Yahoo’s email faster and easier to use on the Web. To cater to the growing audience of people checking their email on smartphones and tablet computers, Yahoo also introduced mobile apps for the iPhone, iPad and devices powered by Microsoft Corp.’s recently released Windows 8 system.
The company, which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., also updated its email app designed for Google Inc.’s Android operating system.
From wire dispatches and staff reports
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors