- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Inside the Beltway: Drones for journalists
“The fight over Obamacare now is over implementation. There are inherent problems in the law itself, which will raise popular ire, but the battle now is over exchanges and other aspects of implementation,” the professor says, adding that 13 states have taken steps to set up the exchanges, 17 have not.
Republican Sens. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and John Hoeven of North Dakota, plus Rep. Don Young, Alaska Republican, join Assistant Secretary for Indian Affairs Kevin Washburn and regional tribal and business leaders at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on Monday to launch the Native American Enterprise Initiative, intended to promote the economic promise of tribes and tribal entrepreneurs around the nation.
Up for discussion are economic and networking strategies for Native American enterprises, “foreign direct investment on tribal lands,” and an advocacy agenda before Congress and the administration.
On Wednesday, meanwhile, representatives from all 566 federally recognized tribes head for the 2012 White House Tribal Nations Conference, staged at the Department of the Interior’s Sidney R. Yates Auditorium. President Obama is expected to deliver remarks.
POLL DU JOUR
• 42 percent of Americans say they belong to the “middle class”; 50 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of Democrats agree.
• 31 percent of Americans overall say they are “working class”; 26 percent of Republicans and 34 percent of Democrats agree.
• 13 percent overall say they are “upper middle class”; 16 percent of Republicans and 12 percent of Democrats agree.
• 10 percent overall say they are “lower class”; 6 percent of Republicans and 12 percent of Democrats agree.
• 2 percent of Americans overall say they are “upper class”; 1 percent of Republicans and 3 percent of Democrats agree.
Source: A Gallup poll of 1,009 U.S. adults conducted Nov. 9-11 and released Friday.
• Ballyhoo and bewilderment to firstname.lastname@example.org
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A brief tale from Beverly Hills
- Inside the Beltway: Congress bottoms out in Gallup job approval poll
- Inside the Beltway: The handshake heard 'round the world at Mandela service
- Inside the Beltway: Tea party brews straw poll
- Inside the Beltway: Pricey health care doesn't guarantee a long life
Latest Blog Entries
- The Gipper 24/7: Get the official - and free - Ronald Reagan App
- No kumbaya: Fiscal conservatives snarl at Patty and Paul's budget deal
- Tea party brews up a 2016 presidential straw poll - and Cruz is in the lead
- Americans just say yes: members of Congress should be subject to random drug testing
- 70 percent of Americans say U.S. has lost world respect; 80 percent of GOP, 56 percent of Democrats agree
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Inside China: Ukraine gets nuke umbrella
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- MALCOLM/REIMER: Over-criminalization undermines respect for legal system
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Consummate traveler Todd DeFeo explores the unique stories that make destinations worth going to.
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow