- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
SNYDER: Who’s big enough to bring NFL to a halt?
Question of the Day
I understand that argument, but I also believe it’s a lot easier to make when there’s no connection with the victim. Belcher barely made an impact among Chiefs fans. Taylor, a star in Washington and at the University of Miami before that, was on the cusp of national prominence as a dominant free safety. But the Redskins and the league had nearly a whole week to digest his untimely death.
Playing in the immediate aftermath of Belcher’s murder-suicide just seems insensitive, which figures. Despite any protestations the NFL might offer in defense, it largely views him as insignificant.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Deron Snyder is an award-winning journalist and Washington Times sports columnist with more than 25 years of experience. He has worked at USA Today and his column was syndicated in Gannett’s 80-plus newspapers from 2000-2009, appearing in The Arizona Republic, The Indianapolis Star, The Detroit News and many others. Follow Deron on Twitter @DeronSnyder or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SNYDER: Is Durant coming home to D.C. as a free agent in 2016?
- SNYDER: Steroid era feats still warrant Hall review
- SNYDER: Michael Sam a pioneer, but Tony Dungy doesn't need to be
- SNYDER: Robert Griffin III, Jay Gruden perfect together — for now
- SNYDER: Nationals flush with possibilities as second half kicks in
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world