- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Flavorful meatballs fit for holiday party
Sometimes failure can end up tasting pretty good. It certainly was the case with these meatballs.
I had been aiming to create a solidly delicious, all-purpose meatball suitable for tossing with marinara over spaghetti — except it didn’t quite work out that way. The meatballs, while certainly delicious, were too tangy and too sweet to pair with your basic pasta sauce, and they certainly didn’t agree with the mandatory Parmesan that spaghetti calls for.
So I tried them in a curry sauce. Indian food is particularly welcoming to that play of sweet and heat, tangy and savory. But that wasn’t quite right, either.
I was resistant to changing the meatballs themselves. Although they didn’t partner well with anything I had tried, I still thought they were good and they certainly were worth salvaging. Then it hit me. Embrace the tangy, sweet-and-savory side of these meatballs. Turn them into party food.
So I ended up with these cocktail meatballs, perfect for setting out with toothpicks for a holiday gathering. It also turned out that the sauce couldn’t have been simpler — tomatoes and cranberry sauce.
COCKTAIL MEATBALLS WITH CRANBERRY MARINARA
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Makes 50 meatballs
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno slices
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again