- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Flavorful meatballs fit for holiday party
Sometimes failure can end up tasting pretty good. It certainly was the case with these meatballs.
I had been aiming to create a solidly delicious, all-purpose meatball suitable for tossing with marinara over spaghetti — except it didn’t quite work out that way. The meatballs, while certainly delicious, were too tangy and too sweet to pair with your basic pasta sauce, and they certainly didn’t agree with the mandatory Parmesan that spaghetti calls for.
So I tried them in a curry sauce. Indian food is particularly welcoming to that play of sweet and heat, tangy and savory. But that wasn’t quite right, either.
I was resistant to changing the meatballs themselves. Although they didn’t partner well with anything I had tried, I still thought they were good and they certainly were worth salvaging. Then it hit me. Embrace the tangy, sweet-and-savory side of these meatballs. Turn them into party food.
So I ended up with these cocktail meatballs, perfect for setting out with toothpicks for a holiday gathering. It also turned out that the sauce couldn’t have been simpler — tomatoes and cranberry sauce.
COCKTAIL MEATBALLS WITH CRANBERRY MARINARA
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Makes 50 meatballs
3 eggs, beaten
¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno slices
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.