- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
October hero Freese kept priorities straight
“He’s so tough mentally and what he’s gone through in life has made him even tougher,” McGwire said. “He’s an older younger player, if you want to call it that, and very mature for what he’s gone through. The growing pains are good. Nobody’s life is perfect and you become smarter and more aware by going through these things.”
Freese was giving back on Thursday, spending about 20 minutes signing autographs near one of the back fields at Roger Dean Stadium and leaving fans beaming.
“He was talking to people about the Corvette he won, what color he chose,” said Glenn Cordes of Ferguson, Mo., who’s vacationing in Florida for the month. “I think he signed for anybody who came up, and I think he talked to them all.”
Going forward, he’ll be going for more big hits from down in the lineup and probably batting behind three well-established power threats in Holliday, Lance Berkman and Carlos Beltran.
“I haven’t come through every time. Nobody does,” Freese said. “I know what I can do, I know my potential and so do the Cardinals, and hopefully I reach that. We’ve got some pretty big dogs in this lineup and I just want to do my part.”
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Donald Rumsfeld has 'no idea' if he paid taxes correctly
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes