- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Volkswagen continues its product offensive for model year 2013
Question of the Day
Volkswagen is on a roll in the United States. Overall sales for the brand were up 35.4 percent year-on-year for the first six months of 2012. And the momentum continues into model year 2013 with the introduction of new derivatives of the Jetta and the Beetle, a significantly changed CC four-door coupe, and some important upgrades to the Jetta and the Eos. All models except the Routan get changes for 2013.
The most important introduction for 2013 will be the Jetta Hybrid, Volkswagen's first offering in the compact hybrid category and VW's second-ever hybrid model. This is VW's first turbocharged hybrid and the first hybrid in the world to use a seven-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission. Competitively priced with other compact hybrid sedans, the Jetta Hybrid will offer class-leading performance combined with excellent fuel economy.
VW will also add a second convertible to the lineup when the Beetle Convertible goes on sale. The car will be available with 2.5-liter naturally aspirated, 2.0-liter turbocharged, and 2.0-liter TDI Clean Diesel engines and will feature a fast-acting top that preserves the sleek lines of the coupe. With an EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 41 mpg on the highway for the manual transmission model, this means that VW now has no fewer than six models in the lineup with EPA ratings of more than 40 mpg on the highway. More details about this exciting new addition to the Beetle range will follow nearer to market introduction.
• Beetle Convertible is added to the range.
• Beetle TDI coupe arrives in August.
• Beetle Fender Edition makes its debut in the fall of 2012.
• All Turbo models now have a standard armrest.
• Turbo with Sunroof, Sound, and Navigation gains new 19-inch "Tornado" aluminum-alloy wheels, Bi-Xenon headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights, and LED license-plate lighting.
The Beetle coupe went on sale in 2012 in 2.5-liter and 2.0-liter TSI forms. In August, the Beetle coupe range will be rounded out with the 140-horsepower, 2.0-liter TDI Clean Diesel engine that will achieve an EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 41 mpg on the highway when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission.
Later in 2012, the Beetle Fender Edition will go on sale, in 2.5L and Turbo forms. As well as featuring the award-winning Fender Premium Audio System, this special edition will also have a striking sunburst-style dashboard, Fender logos, special seat stitching, brushed chrome door mirrors, Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRLs, and 18-inch "Disc" aluminum-alloy wheels. Additionally, Turbo models will get exclusive seat fabric inserts.
• New front and rear styling enhances an already dramatic design.
• High-luxury, high-quality interior now has seating for five.
• Bi-Xenon headlights and LED Daytime Running Lights are now standard.
• New exterior colors, wheels, and trim available.
• New LED taillights.
• The only four-door coupe in its class.
• R-Line design joins the range at the end of 2012.
The newly refreshed CC went on sale in March. There are two powertrain offerings: a 200-horsepower, turbocharged four-cylinder 2.0-liter TSI, mated to either a six-speed manual or six-speed dual-clutch transmission driving the front wheels; and a 280-hp VR6 engine driving all four wheels through a six-speed automatic transmission. Mated to the manual transmission, the 2.0T achieves EPA estimated fuel economy of 21 mpg city and 32 mpg highway, while the VR6 4Motion model gets EPA estimates of 17 mpg city and 25 mpg highway.
The popular R-line trim line will return to the range at the end of 2012. With interior and exterior enhancements, this makes the CC an even sportier vehicle. Compared with the Sport model on which it is based, the R-Line gains a more aggressive front bumper design that incorporates a large lower air intake and projector-style foglights with a striking chrome motif. Side skirts and the R-Line logo on the grille further differentiate the R-Line from the Sport model, along unique 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels. Inside, there are stainless-steel R-Line scuff plates and a multifunction steering wheel that has paddle shifters for the DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission.
New Sport trim joins the lineup and gains: 18-inch "Vicenza" aluminum-alloy wheels; a lowered sport suspension; Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRLs and Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS); headlight washers; LED license-plate lights; "Black Peak" interior trim; brushed stainless steel pedals; multifunction steering wheel with paddle shifters; black exterior side mirrors; and a rear spoiler.
• Lux and Executive models receive Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRLs and AFS, headlight washers, LED license-plate lights, and a new optional leather interior color: Atlantic Blue.
• The Lux also receives a lowered sport suspension and 18-inch "Chicago" aluminum-alloy wheels.
• Executive model also gains a rearview camera.
• New exterior color: Black Pearl.
For 2013, the Golf incorporates minor changes over the 2012 models.
• A front center armrest, in addition to front and rear floor mats, is now standard on all models.
• Golf with Convenience trim features a standard leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and handbrake lever.
• Golf with Convenience and Sunroof models now feature a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, shift knob, and handbrake lever.
• Four-door 2.5L is no longer available with a five-speed manual transmission.
For 2013, the GTI incorporates minor changes over the 2012 models.
• A new 18-inch "Laguna" aluminum-alloy wheel now distinguishes the Convenience and Sunroof trim and Sunroof and Navigation trim from the rest of the lineup.
For 2013, the Golf R continues in limited quantity with no changes over the 2012 models.
• VW's most popular model receives extensive updates for model year 2013.
Introduction of all-new Jetta Hybrid in late 2012.
• All Jetta models from S with Sunroof receive an adjustable front center armrest.
• SE trim level and above feature power recline for driver and front passenger seats.
• Launch control now standard on GLI models equipped with the DSG transmission.
Following record sales in 2011--the sixth-generation Jetta's first full year on sale in the U.S.--the best-selling model in Volkswagen's line-up receives a number of technology and interior comfort updates.
Starting with the popular 2.5-liter engine models, standard updates to the SE trim include power-recline driver and front passenger seats, new decorative metallic trim on the dash and door panels, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and handbrake lever. Exterior enhancements include a chrome radiator grille and chrome window trim.The SEL trim adds a six-way power driver seat with manual lumbar support, sport-comfort driver and front passenger seats, and a soft-touch dash. A two-tone black-and-beige interior complements the changes for 2013.
A new trim, SEL with Navigation, adds the acclaimed Fender Premium Audio System and the RNS-315 touchscreen navigation system.
Similar to the 2.5-liter gasoline trms, all TDI Clean Diesel models receive interior and exterior enhancements. All models now include power-recline driver and front passenger seats in addition to a leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and handbrake lever. A new iridium trim enhances the dash and door panels. The exterior now features a chrome radiator grille along with chrome window trim.
The top-of-the-line TDI Premium with Navigation trim includes a six-way power driver seat and a new 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheel.
The performance-driven Jetta GLI model now features Launch Control. All Jetta GLI models equipped with the DSG automatic transmission include a Launch Control program that can be engaged by the driver when the vehicle is at a stop, allowing for a perfect launch with controlled wheelspin. Technology updates to the sporty GLI Autobahn with Navigation trim include a rearview camera and Bi-Xenon headlights with LED DRLs.
Volkswagen's first hybrid compact, the Jetta Hybrid, launches in the late fall. It will offer a manufacturer-estimated combined 45 mpg. Further detail on trims and pricing will be announced at launch.
For 2013, the Jetta SportWagen incorporates only minor changes over the 2012 models.
• The S trim now features a leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel and multi-function display.
For 2013, the Passat incorporates minor changes over the 2012 models.
• The only German-Engineered sedan available in the mid-size segment, with class-leading rear-seat legroom.
• TDI Clean Diesel model with manual transmission has class-leading range of 795 miles.
• SE trim and above get a new center console that incorporates rear air vents, a new cupholder design, and a revised covered front stowage area.
• All SEL trim models get a rearview camera.
The Passat has been an instant success for Volkswagen, with more than 100,000 being built since it went on sale in September of 2011. The car has also been a hit with media, too, winning Motor Trend's 2012 Car of the Year and multiple comparison tests in top U.S. publications. The popular TDI model also set a long-distance driving record, achieving 1626 miles on one tank of Clean Diesel fuel from Houston, Texas, to Sterling, Virginia, driven by acknowledged mileage experts John and Helen Taylor.
The Routan carries over unchanged.
For 2013, the Tiguan incorporates only minor changes over the 2012 models.
• All Tiguan trim lines get an electronic parking brake, hill-hold control, a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel, and a leather shift knob.
• SE trim receives a partial power passenger seat.
• SEL trim has a power passenger seat and a rearview camera.
For 2013, the Touareg incorporates only minor changes over the 2012 models.
• Touareg TDI Clean Diesel models get a power hike, from 225 horsepower to 240.
• 18-inch "Karakum" wheels are available on VR6 and TDI Sport trims.
• Executive and Hybrid trims get Vavona wood interior trim.
• Hybrid models receive LED taillights and rear license-plate light.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq