- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
London unveils Europe’s tallest building — for now
LONDON (AP) — Europe’s tallest building has been officially unveiled in London, but its tenure as the Continent’s highest skyscraper will be brief.
The Shard, a 95-story tower that stands 1,016 feet high, dwarfs almost everything around it, including nearby Tower Bridge and St. Paul’s Cathedral.
It was officially named Thursday as the highest tower in Europe in a ceremony carried out by Britain’s Prince Andrew, the Duke of York.
However, it is expected to be surpassed before the end of the year by Russia’s planned 1,089-foot Mercury City Tower.
Named for its resemblance to a sliver of glass, the Shard is to include apartments, offices, restaurants and a five-star hotel.
Developer Irvine Sellar says the giant building will prove to be a success, despite Britain’s sluggish economy.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.