- Big milestone for Britain’s little Prince George who turns 1
- Murphy: Israel must be wary of Hamas using civilian deaths for recruitment
- Royce: Putin recruiting ‘every skinhead and malcontent around Russia’
- Nancy Pelosi is adamant: Congress worked together when Bush was president
- ‘Slender Man’ stabbing victim receives Purple Heart from anonymous veteran
- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
Phoenix relying on new $90M hotel to draw more groups
Question of the Day
PHOENIX (AP) — Phoenix officials are hoping a new $90 million hotel will put the city closer to attracting some of the country’s biggest events and conventions.
The Arizona Republic (http://bit.ly/NlOgTA) reports the Hotel Palomar Phoenix opened in the city’s downtown. The hotel, which has more than 10,000 square feet of meeting space, is one of six major hotels in the downtown area.
Tourism officials say the hotel’s opening means Phoenix has nearly 3,000 hotel rooms in its downtown.
The city says 4,000 rooms are necessary in order to draw large groups and events, such as the NFL’s 2015 Super Bowl.
The Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau estimates a single hotel room in downtown contributes about $6,300 yearly in tax revenue for the city.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters' questions on book tour
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq