CAIRO (AP) - The Egyptian Football Association has canceled the rest of this season's league matches following rioting at a match last month that killed 74 people and injured hundreds of others.
The league was suspended after the deadly stampede on Feb. 1 in Port Said following a match between Al-Ahly and Al-Masry.
Egyptian FA spokesman Azmy Megahed says the season will not resume because there is not enough time to play the games before the national team is expected to begin training for the 2013 African Cup qualifiers and London Olympics.
But Megahed said Saturday that 18 teams will play in an exhibition tournament in empty stadiums to raise money for the families of those killed in the violence.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc