- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
FIFA wants Brazil’s Teixeira replaced soon
Question of the Day
Teixeira resigned his seat on world soccer’s governing body for “personal reasons” without elaborating on Monday, one week after leaving as president of Brazil’s soccer body and the 2014 World Cup organizing committee, citing unspecified health problems.
FIFA said its statutes require the South American body, known as CONMEBOL, to move quickly.
“CONMEBOL will now have to decide immediately on the replacement of Ricardo Teixeira as one of their representatives on the FIFA executive committee for the remaining period of office,” FIFA said in a statement.
Blatter’s promised anti-corruption reforms are high on the agenda, as the committee is expected to receive a report from a panel of experts advising FIFA how to be more democratic, transparent and rigorous in its investigations.
The 64-year-old Brazilian skipped the previous meeting of FIFA’s high command, held in Tokyo in December, when Blatter had hoped to publish a Swiss court document relating to a scandal involving million-dollar kickbacks from World Cup broadcasting deals in the 1990s.
Teixeira is widely reported to be implicated in the scandal, but publication of the dossier was delayed because of a legal process brought by unidentified parties before Switzerland’s supreme court.
It could send an interim replacement to Zurich for the March 29-30 session, until an election can be held.
FIFA’s executive committee already has one interim member and a vacant seat.
Asia has sent Chinese official Zhang Jilong in place of its confederation president Mohamed bin Hammam, who was banned for life by FIFA in an election bribery scandal last year.
Bin Hammam can’t be formally replaced until his appeal challenging the ban is decided by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. The Qatari official will face FIFA in court on April 18-19 in the Lausanne, Switzerland.
FIFA is also without a Caribbean delegate, as the CONCACAF confederation has not replaced disgraced former president Jack Warner who resigned all of his soccer duties last June to avoid investigation regarding the Bin Hammam in the bribery scandal.
CONCACAF’s 35 member countries are scheduled to elect a new president on May 23 in Budapest, before the FIFA Congress in the Hungarian capital. The deadline for candidate nominations is Sunday.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq