- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
Ovechkin takes the hit for Caps’ loss to Flyers
Alex Ovechkin shouldered the blame. The Washington Capitals captain committed the turnover that led to the Philadelphia Flyers’ only goal in a 1-0 loss Sunday.
“I try and make a play in the offensive zone and it cost us a goal. It was my mistake,” Ovechkin said. “It’s tough loss for us, I think. My mistake cost us two points, and it cost us the game.”
But the postgame conversation centered more on the 6:39 that Ovechkin didn’t play after Eric Wellwood’s goal. Both he and coach Dale Hunter denied that it was a benching, as the captain pointed out that Jaromir Jagr being on the ice led to the Caps trying to match with Brooks Laich’s line.
“I definitely was matching lines. It was one of those things that it wasn’t the right match,” Hunter said. “I didn’t want him against Jagr and Jagr’s line and we had the Brooksie line against them.”
“Guys, it’s not a benching. It was, maybe he missed a shift. Guys, I was matching lines,” Hunter said. “So he played and he played a lot in the third and he had his chances and the goalie stood tall.”
It was curious that Jay Beagle took a shift in Ovechkin’s place, but even that was downplayed.
“No, it was just one time because faceoff was in our zone and Dale just put him,” Ovechkin said. “It was one minute, two minutes, I think, two minutes left in the second period and they put again Jagr against probably our line so that’s why he put Beags on me.”
“Just don’t turn it over. Be careful what you do with the puck,” the Caps’ coach recalled. “Make sure you look before you pass.”
The goal occurred at the 7:51 mark of the second, and Ovechkin took just one shift the remainder of the period. He seemed to wake up in the third period.
“People make mistakes out there; it’s what you do after,” Hunter said. “And after, in the third period, he had his chances and the goalie was good tonight.”
During a season that started with so much talk about accountability, players didn’t want to speak for Hunter and his methods but made it clear that poor play can’t be excused.
“We need everyone going. We can’t have any time to babysit right now; it’s not the time of the year for that,” Brouwer said. “Guys need to know what they need to do right now, and if guys aren’t doing what they need to do, then we lose hockey games.”
Asked about Hunter sending a message with ice time yet again, forward Matt Hendricks was diplomatic.
“Well, this is a team, and everyone in here is fighting for one goal. It’s part of the game. People get sat,” he said. “Maybe you know, for what reasons — to learn a lesson, I don’t know — but it happens in hockey. I thought we kept playing hard without him.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- WHYNO: Tomas Vokoun gets unexpected Stanley Cup shot with Penguins
- Brandon Meriweather, Redskins' secondary ready for bounceback year
- Kirk Cousins embraces role as Redskins' offseason starter as RG3 rehabs from injury
- Capitals notes: Realignment won't prompt roster remake
- Despite Caps' first-round playoff exit, Adam Oates' first season as coach left a positive taste
Latest Blog Entries
- Redskins injury updates (5/23): WR Pierre Garcon, CB Josh Wilson each had labrum surgery
- Capitals 'love' Matt Hendricks, but how much?
- Wojtek Wolski signs in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League
- Tom Poti won't return to Capitals, plans to continue his NHL career
- Is Tom Wilson ready to be a regular for Capitals?
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.