- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Redskins bring back Hightower
Question of the Day
Hightower, who turns 26 on May 23, has a strong chance to begin 2012 as the starter despite coming off a torn ACL in his left knee. He was injured while cutting back on a second-half run against the Carolina Panthers last Oct. 23. He averaged 3.8 yards per carry and scored one touchdown in six games.
Redskins coaches believe him to be a strong fit for the outside zone scheme because of his speed, vision and ability to square his shoulders to the line of scrimmage and burst up field.
Washington acquired Hightower in a trade with Arizona last July, and coach Mike Shanahan in late March expressed his intent to re-sign him. He was an unrestricted free agent. Terms of the agreement were not immediately known.
Hightower will have to beat out second-year running backs Roy Helu Jr. and Evan Royster. Helu led the team last season with 640 yards (4.2 average) and two rushing touchdowns filling in for Hightower.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- REDSKINS 2013: Washington seeks staying power among NFL's elite
- REDSKINS 2013: Breaking down the schedule, game by game
- NFL 2013: Ranking all 32 teams in terms of staying power
- With no blueprint, Redskin Hankerson seeks success as dad
- Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson learning to manage family life with football career
Latest Blog Entries
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world