- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Inside the Beltway: Campers alert
The summer breeze calls: Children of disabled or wounded military service members still have time to sign up for Camp Corral, a free weeklong summer camp sponsored by the Golden Corral restaurant chain, for ages 8 to 15. This is the good old traditional stuff: We’re talking water and target sports, canoeing, horseback riding, crafts, and campfire stories.
The fully accredited camps are located in North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Kansas, Texas and Colorado, and the sessions are scheduled for July and August, a spokeswoman tells Inside the Beltway. See details and registration information at campcorral.org.
WHITE HOUSE MOMENT
“May God bless the souls of the venerable warriors we have lost, and may He watch over the men and women who serve us now. Today, tomorrow, and in perpetuity, let us give thanks to them by remaining true to the values and virtues for which they fight.
“In honor of all of our fallen service members, the Congress, by a joint resolution approved May 11, 1950, as amended (36 U.S.C. 116), has requested the President issue a proclamation calling on the people of the United States to observe each Memorial Day as a day of prayer for permanent peace … I, Barack Obama, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim Memorial Day, May 28, 2012, as a day of prayer for permanent peace, and I designate the hour beginning in each locality at 11:00 a.m. of that day as a time to unite in prayer. I also ask all Americans to observe the National Moment of Remembrance beginning at 3:00 p.m. local time on Memorial Day.”
- President Obama’s official proclamation for Memorial Day
COME HOME, BE EMPLOYED
“We owe it to our service members to do everything we can to ensure they come home to a strong, growing economy that creates jobs and opportunities. Unfortunately, roughly 22 million of our fellow citizens are struggling to find a good-paying full-time job in President Obama’s economy. … On Memorial Day, as we consider the sacrifices our service members and their families have made, we are reminded to never squander the blessings of liberty. That is why helping to create jobs and grow our economy will continue to be Republicans’ focus in the weeks and months ahead.”
- Rep. Lynn Jenkins of Kansas, in the Republican weekly address.
VETS FOR MITT
New to the campaign trail, and at the ready to support presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney: It’s Veterans for Romney, a newly formed group under the chairmanship of J. Thomas Burch, president of the National Vietnam Veterans Foundation and a former U.S. Army special forces officer who did time in Vietnam in the late 1960s. The mission?
“The reason we’re here is simple. The current commander-in-chief has done nothing to address prisoner of war and missing in action issues, or ensuring the fair health care and promised benefits to our vets and retirees,” Mr. Burch tells Inside the Beltway.
“And if he’s not going to take care of these things, then we plan to find someone else who will. It’s as simple as that.”
24 KARAT POLITICS
In 1960, he-man crooner Johnny Horton sang “North to Alaska” describing the Klondike gold rush with lyrics that advised: “Where the river is winding, big nuggets they’re finding. North to Alaska, they’re going North, the rush is on.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A presidential showcase for Mike Pence
- 10 state tour: Tea party bus rolls in the name of liberty - and the midterms
- Inside the Beltway: The Elizabeth Warren effect
- They're next: Alaska fumes over marijuana legalization
- 'Scott Walker 2016': Here comes the bumper sticker
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: 'It's scary'
- 2-week truce for hot sauce maker, California city
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014