- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
American Scene: First permanent female president named at Alabama
District Attorney Kenneth Florence said Shelby County has dismissed all of its pending forfeiture cases, even those without a connection to Tenaha, in what he described as an effort to turn the page after an agreement was reached in August to settle a class-action lawsuit stemming from the stops.
“I just don’t think you could get anything done with any of those cases,” said Mr. Florence, who was appointed by Gov. Rick Perry in August and is running for the post in next week’s election. “They are all tainted, so to speak.”
Attorneys: Detectives framed Nebraska men
DES MOINES — Two black men who served 25 years in prison in the 1977 killing of a retired, white Iowa police captain say they were framed by detectives and are asking a jury to award them more than $100 million.
Terry Harrington and Curtis McGhee were convicted in the slaying of John Schweer in Council Bluffs. They were freed in 2003 after the Iowa Supreme Court found prosecutors had committed misconduct.
The men’s attorneys said during opening statements Thursday in Des Moines that they will show two former Council Bluff detectives coerced car theft suspects into implicating Mr. Harrington and Mr. McGhee in Schweer’s death. The Nebraska men are suing the detectives and the city.
Their attorneys say they’re seeking justice from a system that deprived them of freedom for much of their lives.
Last shuttle’s retirement move pains workers
CAPE CANAVERAL — Space shuttle Atlantis isn’t going far to its retirement home at Kennedy Space Center’s main tourist stop. But it might as well be a world away for the workers who spent decades doting on Atlantis and NASA’s other shuttles.
Those who agreed to stay until the end – and help with the shuttles’ transition from round-the-world flying marvels to museum showpieces – now face unemployment just like so many of their colleagues over the past few years.
NASA’s 30-year shuttle program ended more than a year ago with Atlantis the last shuttle to orbit the Earth. Now, it’s the last of three shuttles to leave the coop. Friday’s one-way road trip over a mere 10 miles represents the closing chapter of what once was a passionate endeavor for so many.
The latest wave of layoff notices struck the same day last month that a small group of journalists toured Atlantis’ stripped-down crew compartment. The hangar was hushed, compared with decades past. Despite pleas from management to put on smiles, many of the technicians and engineers were in no mood for happy talk as reporters bustled about.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 10 million new babies? China's hope for boom likely to become policy bust
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.