- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
SANDS: Women’s favorites falter at the FIDE World Cup
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. g3 Nf6 7. Bg2 Be7 8. O-O O-O 9. Bg5 c4 10. Ne5 Be6 11. Nxc6 bxc6 12. b3 Rc8 13. Na4 Qa5 14. e3 Rfd8 15. Bxf6 gxf6 16. Qh5 c5 17. dxc5 Bxc5 18. Nxc5 Qxc5 19. Rfd1 c3 20. Rac1 c2 21. Rd2 Qc3 22. Qe2 Bf5 23. Rd4 Qb2 24. Qd2 Qxa2 25. e4 Bg6 26. f4 Qxb3 27. exd5 Qb2 28. Rb4 Qxc1+ 29. Qxc1 Rb8 30. Be4 Rxb4 31. Bxc2 Rc4 32. f5 Bxf5 33. Qf1 Rxc2 34. Qxf5 Rd2 35. Qg4+ Kh8 36. Qf4 R8xd5 37. Qxf6+ Kg8 White resigns.
Chigorin Memorial Rapid Tournament, St. Petersburg, October 2012
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nge2 Bg4 8. f3 Bh5 9. Nf4 Bg6 10. Nfxd5 Bd6 11. O-O Kf8 12. f4 Nf6 13. Nxf6 Qxf6 14. Be3 Re8 15. Qd2 Nxd4 16. Bxg6 Rxe3 17. Qxe3 Bc5 18. Ne4 Ne2+ 19. Kh1 Bxe3 20. Nxf6 Ng3+ White resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: A Rocky-like chess bout from the Romantic era
- SANDS: Going old school: Big chess milestones for 2014
- SANDS: If you knew Sochi like chess players knew Sochi
- SANDS: Chess champion Magnus Carlsen finally shows a little imperfection
- SANDS: Carlsen, Aronian set the pace at Zurich Chess Challenge
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again