- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
SANDS: Women’s favorites falter at the FIDE World Cup
Question of the Day
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. g3 Nf6 7. Bg2 Be7 8. O-O O-O 9. Bg5 c4 10. Ne5 Be6 11. Nxc6 bxc6 12. b3 Rc8 13. Na4 Qa5 14. e3 Rfd8 15. Bxf6 gxf6 16. Qh5 c5 17. dxc5 Bxc5 18. Nxc5 Qxc5 19. Rfd1 c3 20. Rac1 c2 21. Rd2 Qc3 22. Qe2 Bf5 23. Rd4 Qb2 24. Qd2 Qxa2 25. e4 Bg6 26. f4 Qxb3 27. exd5 Qb2 28. Rb4 Qxc1+ 29. Qxc1 Rb8 30. Be4 Rxb4 31. Bxc2 Rc4 32. f5 Bxf5 33. Qf1 Rxc2 34. Qxf5 Rd2 35. Qg4+ Kh8 36. Qf4 R8xd5 37. Qxf6+ Kg8 White resigns.
Chigorin Memorial Rapid Tournament, St. Petersburg, October 2012
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nge2 Bg4 8. f3 Bh5 9. Nf4 Bg6 10. Nfxd5 Bd6 11. O-O Kf8 12. f4 Nf6 13. Nxf6 Qxf6 14. Be3 Re8 15. Qd2 Nxd4 16. Bxg6 Rxe3 17. Qxe3 Bc5 18. Ne4 Ne2+ 19. Kh1 Bxe3 20. Nxf6 Ng3+ White resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
- SANDS: Campaigning and competing on Capitol Hill
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq