- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
SANDS: Women’s favorites falter at the FIDE World Cup
1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. g3 Nf6 7. Bg2 Be7 8. O-O O-O 9. Bg5 c4 10. Ne5 Be6 11. Nxc6 bxc6 12. b3 Rc8 13. Na4 Qa5 14. e3 Rfd8 15. Bxf6 gxf6 16. Qh5 c5 17. dxc5 Bxc5 18. Nxc5 Qxc5 19. Rfd1 c3 20. Rac1 c2 21. Rd2 Qc3 22. Qe2 Bf5 23. Rd4 Qb2 24. Qd2 Qxa2 25. e4 Bg6 26. f4 Qxb3 27. exd5 Qb2 28. Rb4 Qxc1+ 29. Qxc1 Rb8 30. Be4 Rxb4 31. Bxc2 Rc4 32. f5 Bxf5 33. Qf1 Rxc2 34. Qxf5 Rd2 35. Qg4+ Kh8 36. Qf4 R8xd5 37. Qxf6+ Kg8 White resigns.
Chigorin Memorial Rapid Tournament, St. Petersburg, October 2012
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. exd5 exd5 5. Bd3 Nc6 6. a3 Be7 7. Nge2 Bg4 8. f3 Bh5 9. Nf4 Bg6 10. Nfxd5 Bd6 11. O-O Kf8 12. f4 Nf6 13. Nxf6 Qxf6 14. Be3 Re8 15. Qd2 Nxd4 16. Bxg6 Rxe3 17. Qxe3 Bc5 18. Ne4 Ne2+ 19. Kh1 Bxe3 20. Nxf6 Ng3+ White resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Fields set for next month's U.S. championship chess tourneys
- SANDS: High-powered Webster claims second straight college chess crown
- SANDS: Rematch point: Chess champions, challengers often meet again
- SANDS: Steady Anand earns rematch with Carlsen for world chess title
- Anand earns rematch against Carlsen for chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014