- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
Inside Politics: SEAL Team 6 members punished for leaking classified info
Question of the Day
The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement, a youth research organization at Tufts University, said Thursday that more than 22 million young Americans, or about 49 percent of that age group, voted in the presidential election. The group said if Mr. Romney had won half the youth vote, he would have won the battleground states of Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia, and with them, the presidency.
Iranian leader ridicules U.S. campaign spending
BALI, Indonesia — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad ridiculed the expense of the U.S. election, mocking it as a “battleground for capitalists” while speaking at a democracy forum.
Mr. Ahmadinejad’s own government has been criticized for human rights abuses. A day after Americans re-elected President Obama, the Iranian president told the forum in Indonesia that democracy has become a system where the minority rules over the majority.
“Just take a look at the situation in Europe and the U.S.,” Mr. Ahmadinejad said as the forum opened Thursday on the resort island of Bali. An “election, which is one of the manifestations of the people’s will, has become a battleground for the capitalists and an excuse for hasty spending.”
Mr. Ahmadinejad also called for U.S. military bases to be dismantled worldwide and said the winner of the U.S. election made no difference to him.
“Coming or going, winning or losing is not important,” he told reporters.
Admiral cleared of misconduct after lengthy investigation
Defense officials say the head of U.S. European Command has been cleared of misconduct after a lengthy Pentagon investigation into travel and spending questions that derailed his chances last year of becoming the Navy’s top officer.
Officials say a Pentagon inspector general’s report alleges that Navy Adm. James Stavridis failed to exercise enough oversight of his staff and made record-keeping and reimbursement mistakes, including trips he took that included family members. Adm. Stavridis is also the top NATO commander.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus reviewed the report and concluded that Adm. Stavridis did not misuse his office or use his position for personal gain. Mr. Mabus attributes most of the 10 allegations to accounting errors that Adm. Stavridis corrected.
Officials discussed the investigation on condition of anonymity because it has not yet been released publicly.
TWT Video Picks
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- KEENE: Thinking outside nanny-state box with Paul Ryan
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq