- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Inside the Beltway: What Romney intended
The actor appeared on “Our Gang” from 1929 to 1931 and was famed for his endearing crush on school teacher “Miss Crabtree.” The son of a Baltimore electrical worker, Chubby won his role over 2,000 other hopefuls back in the day, but later died at 21 from a glandular condition in 1936. The new marker will be unveiled Saturday; it references the fact he was known as “Chubsy-Ubsy” and features an etched portrait.
“Chubby has entertained and made literally millions of people laugh for more than 80 years. Now it’s our turn to give back and give him the memorial that he deserves,” observes Mikal C.G.
11TH HOUR, 11TH DAY
“Whether they fought in Salerno or Samarra, Heartbreak Ridge or Helmand, Khe Sanh or the Korengal, our veterans are part of an unbroken chain of men and women who have served our country with honor and distinction. On Veterans Day, we show them our deepest thanks. Their sacrifices have helped secure more than two centuries of American progress, and their legacy affirms that no matter what confronts us or what trials we face, there is no challenge we cannot overcome, and our best days are still ahead.”
(From President Obama’s official proclamation recognizing Veterans Day. )
POLL DU JOUR
• 21.5 million: the total number of military veterans living in the U.S.
• 17.2 million are “non-Hispanic white,” 2.3 million are black, 1.6 million are women, 1.2 million are Hispanic.
• 264,695 are Asian, 153,223 American Indian/Alaska Native, 27,469 Native Hawaii/Pacific Islander,
• 9.1 million are in the labor force, 9.2 million are older than 65.
• 7.5 million are Vietnam-era veterans, 5.1 million served in the Gulf wars (Aug. 2, 1990- to present.)
• 5.4 million served in “peacetime only,” 2.4 million served in the Korean War, 1.8 million served in World War II.
• 43,942 served in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.
• $35,821: annual median income of veterans.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
- 4 MILLION WORDS: the U.S. Tax Code is seven times the length of 'War and Peace'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.