- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Inside the Beltway: What Romney intended
Question of the Day
The actor appeared on “Our Gang” from 1929 to 1931 and was famed for his endearing crush on school teacher “Miss Crabtree.” The son of a Baltimore electrical worker, Chubby won his role over 2,000 other hopefuls back in the day, but later died at 21 from a glandular condition in 1936. The new marker will be unveiled Saturday; it references the fact he was known as “Chubsy-Ubsy” and features an etched portrait.
“Chubby has entertained and made literally millions of people laugh for more than 80 years. Now it’s our turn to give back and give him the memorial that he deserves,” observes Mikal C.G.
11TH HOUR, 11TH DAY
“Whether they fought in Salerno or Samarra, Heartbreak Ridge or Helmand, Khe Sanh or the Korengal, our veterans are part of an unbroken chain of men and women who have served our country with honor and distinction. On Veterans Day, we show them our deepest thanks. Their sacrifices have helped secure more than two centuries of American progress, and their legacy affirms that no matter what confronts us or what trials we face, there is no challenge we cannot overcome, and our best days are still ahead.”
(From President Obama’s official proclamation recognizing Veterans Day. )
POLL DU JOUR
• 21.5 million: the total number of military veterans living in the U.S.
• 17.2 million are “non-Hispanic white,” 2.3 million are black, 1.6 million are women, 1.2 million are Hispanic.
• 264,695 are Asian, 153,223 American Indian/Alaska Native, 27,469 Native Hawaii/Pacific Islander,
• 9.1 million are in the labor force, 9.2 million are older than 65.
• 7.5 million are Vietnam-era veterans, 5.1 million served in the Gulf wars (Aug. 2, 1990- to present.)
• 5.4 million served in “peacetime only,” 2.4 million served in the Korean War, 1.8 million served in World War II.
• 43,942 served in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.
• $35,821: annual median income of veterans.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: 'Guns Save Lives Day'
- Inside the Beltway: Conservatives ponder next 'character assassin'
- Inside the Beltway: Americans think U.S. global prestige is fading, Pew poll shows
- Inside the Beltway: Stringent advice from a reporter to Obama on Term 2
- Inside the Beltway: Obamacare team lauds 'private sector velocity' of website repairs
Latest Blog Entries
- Americans just say yes: members of Congress should be subject to random drug testing
- 70 percent of Americans say U.S. has lost world respect; 80 percent of GOP, 56 percent of Democrats agree
- For the gift givers arsenal: politically incorrect guides that praise America
- 70 percent of Americans fear another government shutdown in January when the money runs out
- Are you the parent of a girl? Then you're likely a conservative Republican study says
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Chris Matthews: GOP less patriotic than South African white apartheid leaders
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!