- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
Inside the Beltway: What Romney intended
Question of the Day
The actor appeared on “Our Gang” from 1929 to 1931 and was famed for his endearing crush on school teacher “Miss Crabtree.” The son of a Baltimore electrical worker, Chubby won his role over 2,000 other hopefuls back in the day, but later died at 21 from a glandular condition in 1936. The new marker will be unveiled Saturday; it references the fact he was known as “Chubsy-Ubsy” and features an etched portrait.
“Chubby has entertained and made literally millions of people laugh for more than 80 years. Now it’s our turn to give back and give him the memorial that he deserves,” observes Mikal C.G.
11TH HOUR, 11TH DAY
“Whether they fought in Salerno or Samarra, Heartbreak Ridge or Helmand, Khe Sanh or the Korengal, our veterans are part of an unbroken chain of men and women who have served our country with honor and distinction. On Veterans Day, we show them our deepest thanks. Their sacrifices have helped secure more than two centuries of American progress, and their legacy affirms that no matter what confronts us or what trials we face, there is no challenge we cannot overcome, and our best days are still ahead.”
(From President Obama’s official proclamation recognizing Veterans Day. )
POLL DU JOUR
• 21.5 million: the total number of military veterans living in the U.S.
• 17.2 million are “non-Hispanic white,” 2.3 million are black, 1.6 million are women, 1.2 million are Hispanic.
• 264,695 are Asian, 153,223 American Indian/Alaska Native, 27,469 Native Hawaii/Pacific Islander,
• 9.1 million are in the labor force, 9.2 million are older than 65.
• 7.5 million are Vietnam-era veterans, 5.1 million served in the Gulf wars (Aug. 2, 1990- to present.)
• 5.4 million served in “peacetime only,” 2.4 million served in the Korean War, 1.8 million served in World War II.
• 43,942 served in World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam.
• $35,821: annual median income of veterans.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 89 percent of wary Americans say illegal immigration a 'serious issue'
- Ron Paul giving away a Colt AR-15 in the name of 'freedom'
- John Bolton endorses Scott Brown, the newest 'national security candidate'
- Inside the Beltway: Everybody's hot on the Cold War
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world