- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
1 dead in attack on famed doctor’s home: official
Question of the Day
KINSHASA, CONGO (AP) - Congolese officials confirm that gunmen killed one person in an attack on the home of a Congolese doctor who has helped thousands of women recover from violent rapes.
South Kivu Province Governor Marcellin Cishambo told The Associated Press Friday that armed assailants killed the security guard at Dr. Denis Mukwege's home in Bukavu Thursday night and they stole the medic's car. Mukwege, who was at home with his family, was not injured.
The governor said that security has been increased at the doctor's home.
Mukwege is a gynecologist devoted to the cause of women victims of rape in Congo. He founded the Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, capital of South Kivu province. Mukwege, 57, and his team have treated more than 30,000 victims of violent rapes during the last 10 years.
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- 'Duck Dynasty' star's daughter gets charity boost from congressman
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs