- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Times247 website honored for best home page
The Washington Times-affiliated website Times247.com has won an EPPY Award award for best home page for sites drawing fewer than 1 million unique monthly visitors.
The international competition recognizes the best media-affiliated websites across 31 categories and is organized and sponsored by Editor & Publisher magazine, an industry publication.
Judgment criteria for online news gathering goes beyond the bounds of traditional press features such as content and credibility. The 68 judges from the United States and other countries considered user-friendliness, interactivity, innovative design, ease of navigation and even the elusive "wow" factor, which grants readers a singular experience.
"Innovation is what 21st-century newspapering has to be about, so we are proud to be a part of this new digital venture, Times247," said Washington Times Corporate Editor Robert Morton, who has overseen the website from its inception. "But the newspaper business has always been and still is about service to readers. The Times247 team is dedicated to providing Washington Times readers what they need and want: a 24/7 service of the best news and opinion breaking news."
"The look and feel of Times247 is really unique," said Managing Editor Dean Honeycutt, a 26-year veteran of The Washington Times. "It is so gratifying to see the site earn recognition for being a cutting-edge media concept."
The Times 24 site features an easily recognizable, signature home page that showcases exclusive news and opinion content from The Washington Times, plus a real-time spotlight on carefully curated news and commentary from other sources. Updates are constant, and variety is key. Content is included from many news organizations, insider blogs and policy sites, including Fox News, the Daily Caller, the Blaze and National Review.com.
This is the 17th year, meanwhile, for the EPPY Awards. Other news organizations also recognized in the competition include CNN, CBS, Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, NPR, Financial Times and USA Today.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: GOP want to know who's behind the Clinton lockdown
- Inside the Beltway: A sampler of CPAC wisdom
- Historian: Valdimir Putin using Peter the Great tactics
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Inside the Beltway: CPAC spectacle and a cast of thousands
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Six Senate seats could hinge on Keystone pipeline
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again