- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Times247 website honored for best home page
The Washington Times-affiliated website Times247.com has won an EPPY Award award for best home page for sites drawing fewer than 1 million unique monthly visitors.
The international competition recognizes the best media-affiliated websites across 31 categories and is organized and sponsored by Editor & Publisher magazine, an industry publication.
Judgment criteria for online news gathering goes beyond the bounds of traditional press features such as content and credibility. The 68 judges from the United States and other countries considered user-friendliness, interactivity, innovative design, ease of navigation and even the elusive "wow" factor, which grants readers a singular experience.
"Innovation is what 21st-century newspapering has to be about, so we are proud to be a part of this new digital venture, Times247," said Washington Times Corporate Editor Robert Morton, who has overseen the website from its inception. "But the newspaper business has always been and still is about service to readers. The Times247 team is dedicated to providing Washington Times readers what they need and want: a 24/7 service of the best news and opinion breaking news."
"The look and feel of Times247 is really unique," said Managing Editor Dean Honeycutt, a 26-year veteran of The Washington Times. "It is so gratifying to see the site earn recognition for being a cutting-edge media concept."
The Times 24 site features an easily recognizable, signature home page that showcases exclusive news and opinion content from The Washington Times, plus a real-time spotlight on carefully curated news and commentary from other sources. Updates are constant, and variety is key. Content is included from many news organizations, insider blogs and policy sites, including Fox News, the Daily Caller, the Blaze and National Review.com.
This is the 17th year, meanwhile, for the EPPY Awards. Other news organizations also recognized in the competition include CNN, CBS, Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, NPR, Financial Times and USA Today.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: A brief tale from Beverly Hills
- Inside the Beltway: Congress bottoms out in Gallup job approval poll
- Inside the Beltway: The handshake heard 'round the world at Mandela service
- Inside the Beltway: Tea party brews straw poll
- Inside the Beltway: Pricey health care doesn't guarantee a long life
Latest Blog Entries
- The Gipper 24/7: Get the official - and free - Ronald Reagan App
- No kumbaya: Fiscal conservatives snarl at Patty and Paul's budget deal
- Tea party brews up a 2016 presidential straw poll - and Cruz is in the lead
- Americans just say yes: members of Congress should be subject to random drug testing
- 70 percent of Americans say U.S. has lost world respect; 80 percent of GOP, 56 percent of Democrats agree
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow