- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
EDITORIAL: Islamist explosion not over film
There is no rational justification for irrational mob violence
Question of the Day
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is emphatic that the anti-Islam video “Innocence of Muslims” is “disgusting.” This happens to be what most Americans feel about our flag being desecrated. For some reason, foreign governments don’t heap praise on the United States and its traditions every time their people commit acts of disrespect toward us. U.S. politicians could learn from their example.
In belated remarks Thursday marking the end of Ramadan, Mrs. Clinton expressed official disapproval of the film which has been blamed for the latest wave of anti-U.S. violence in the Muslim world. She made a reasonable point that people shouldn’t respond with violence when their religion is denigrated. Unfortunately, though, we aren’t dealing with reasonable people. Islamists don’t care about the Western tradition of tolerance, to them, it is one of our country’s many faults.
Mrs. Clinton has stressed that the U.S. government had nothing to do with the film, but this point is irrelevant. It didn’t matter to the extremists that the four Americans slain in Libya probably never heard of the movie clip. To the bloodthirsty mob, an American is an American. All are equally guilty; the four in Libya were simply available.
Wissam Buhmeid, commander of Libyan security forces in Benghazi, admitted his men abandoned the Americans to their fate because of the supposed insult to Muhammad. “There were definitely people from the security forces who let the attack happen because they were themselves offended by the film,” he said. “They would absolutely put their loyalty to the Prophet over the consulate. The deaths are all nothing compared to insulting the Prophet.” Remember, this is one of the supposedly good guys talking.
Focusing on the film as the cause of the anti-American outburst plays into the hands of the radicals. The attacks in Benghazi and Cairo were pre-planned, not spontaneous acts of mob violence to a film that had been available on the Internet for months. More to the point is that the “day of rage” was set for the anniversary of al Qaeda’s Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on America.
Recent violence in the Muslim world reiterates the failure of President Obama’s obsequious outreach to the peoples of the Mideast. In June, the Pew Global Attitudes Project showed that between 2009 and 2012, confidence in Mr. Obama has declined in every region of the world they surveyed. His lowest ratings are in Muslim countries, where his approval is 24 percent and approval of his policies is a scant 15 percent. Mr. Obama can praise the religion of his fathers all he wants, but Muslims just don’t like him.
No amount of pandering to Islam or commiserating with Muslim mobs locked in their latest bout of faux outrage will stop tragedies like the Benghazi murders from happening. Radicals will always find a pretext for violence, whether literature like “The Satanic Verses,” Koran burnings, a cartoon or some innocent, offhand reference to Muhammad. The United States is a free country; at any given time, some American might do something hotheaded radicals can use to push their hateful agenda. What will happen when Islamists find out there is a bas-relief sculpture of Muhammad on the north frieze of the Supreme Court building? Demand it be taken down? With Shariah on the march, perhaps putting distance between the high court and Islam is a good idea.
The Washington Times
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Stopping police asset-forfeiture predators
- EDITORIAL: Obama's 'economic patriotism' means higher taxes
- EDITORIAL: Cellphones, steering wheels and safety
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Ship tours can foster dialogue
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Latin leaders profit from illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals