That second judicial action was not mentioned in Monday’s proceedings, and there was no mention of the name of the photographer or photographers who took the offending pictures. There was only reference to an “agency.”
Meanwhile, in Ireland, Justice Minister Alan Shatter said Monday that the country planned to introduce new privacy laws after the Irish Daily Star newspaper published the topless photographs of the princess.
“It is clear that some sections of the print media are either unable or unwilling in their reportage to distinguish between prurient interest and the public interest,” said Shatter.
“Sections of the print media believe that public figures are fair game and have no right to privacy in respect of any aspect of their lives,” Shatter added.
Independent Star, the company which owns the newspaper in question, said Monday that Michael O’Kane had been suspended as editor and an internal inquiry had been launched.
The newspaper printed some of the photographs on Saturday in editions available in Ireland, but not inside the U.K.
Nicole Winfield in Rome and David Stringer in London contributed to this report.
By Rand Paul
Obama acts as though we no longer have a Constitution
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
How does our 50th state view D.C. politics?
Political centrist who tells it like it is
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention
California wildfires wreak havoc