- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
Oregon plague victim loses fingers and toes
PORTLAND, ORE. (AP) - An Oregon man who nearly died from the plague in June has now lost his withered fingers and toes to the disease known as the Black Death.
Doctors amputated the blackened extremities of Paul "Steve" Gaylord in an operation that lasted 2 1/2 hours Monday at the St. Charles Medical Center in Bend.
The 60-year-old Prineville man told The Oregonian ( http://is.gd/eOaxzB) the surgery was a success but painful.
He says he's happy to be alive and wants to get out of pain and be able to walk and do things for himself. He faces months of physical therapy.
Gaylord was infected in June when he tried to take a mouse out of the throat of his choking cat.
Information from: The Oregonian, http://www.oregonlive.com
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- ORTEL: Putin sees opportunities as Obama turns away
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Bonuses given to IRS employes who owed back taxes
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.