Strange as it seems that two guys with the same name could win batting titles in the same season, it’s hardly the happy coincidence it sounds like.
Through Wednesday’s games, Detroit’s Cabrera, Miguel, was on pace to accomplish something even more historic. He was leading the American League in both batting average and RBIs, and was only one behind Texas’ Josh Hamilton _ 42-41 _ in the home-run race. And because Hamilton is battling a sinus problem that affects his vision, the Rangers are likely to use him sparingly the final weeks of the regular season, boosting Cabrera’s chances of winning a Triple Crown.
Yet even if Miguel Cabrera becomes the first player to claim the trifecta since Boston’s Carl Yastrzemski in 1967 _ and wins the league’s MVP award, too _ his achievements could still be overshadowed by the other Cabrera.
That’s because San Francisco’s Melky _ at 28, some 16 months younger than Miguel and no relation _ could very well win the NL batting title while serving a 50-game suspension handed down in August after a positive drug test.
“We’ll see how it all plays out,” Selig told reporters after sitting for an interview for the YES Network. “We generally don’t interfere in that process. We’ll take a look at it at the end of the year.”
And “look at it” is about all Selig intends to do.
“You can’t change records” he said earlier in the interview, “because once you get into that it would never stop.”
Hard to disagree with Bud on this one, since neither he nor all the blue-ribbon panels that investigated the game’s Supersized Era can say with certainty where the timeline begins or ends. Deciding how many tainted entries the record books hold would be trickier than answering how many ballplayers can dance on the tip of a hypodermic needle.
For the same reason, Selig can’t go back and void the results of July’s All-Star game, when Melky Cabrera’s contributions won him MVP honors and locked up home-field advantage for the NL in the World Series. (Wouldn’t that be a kick in the shins if the Tigers and Giants wind up playing in it?) But even if there is little the commissioner can do, it’s not as though Melky Cabrera is getting off easy.
He hasn’t been seen much in San Francisco since last month’s suspension and the Giants apparently plan to keep it that way. The club isn’t expected to bring Cabrera back and add him to the playoff roster, and probably won’t re-sign him for next season. Since Cabrera becomes a free agent at the end of it, the hit to his reputation will probably translate into a much shorter contract with way fewer dollars than the $70 million or more he might have expected.
It’s hard to gauge how much respect he’s lost in the clubhouse, though the few friends who reached out to him have yet to hear anything back. Most of his teammates are keeping their distance.
“No thoughts on that,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy replied Thursday, when asked about Melky. “That’s the last thing on my mind.”
On the other hand, just about everybody in baseball has been forced to keep tabs on the other Cabrera, especially opposing pitchers.View Entire Story
By Elaine Donnelly
Extending sexual misconduct to combat units
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Contributions to the Communities Sports desk from readers.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention