- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
Maryland fends off Temple rallies, matches 2011 win total
Question of the Day
PHILADELPHIA — Maryland barely exorcized memories of its most brutal loss of a year ago while nearly revisiting the theme of its forgettable 2011 finale.
The Terrapins outlasted Temple 36-27 at Lincoln Financial Field on Saturday. In doing so, they matched their win total from all of last season.
Naturally, it wasn't easy for an inexperienced team that barely survived William & Mary in its season opener.
Maryland (2-0) built a 26-3 halftime lead, then nearly squandered all of it as the Owls (1-1) closed within 29-27.
However, the Terps pieced together an 11-play drive capped by Justus Pickett's 7-yard touchdown run with 2:51 to play.
Pickett's score and linebacker Demetrius Hartsfield's interception on the ensuing possession effectively ended any chance of Maryland repeating its meltdown at the end of last season. The Terps blew a 27-point lead in the second half in what became a 56-41 loss to N.C. State.
Maryland encountered trouble thanks to four turnovers, all fumbles by true freshmen. Temple scored 17 points off Terp giveaways.
It was a more promising day for freshman quarterback Perry Hills, who rushed for a score and tossed touchdown passes to Matt Furstenburg and Marcus Leak in the first half. Hills was 11 for 21 for 190 yards for the day.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at email@example.com.
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world