- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
Stephen Colbert hosting fundraiser for sister Elizabeth Busch’s congressional bid
Comedian Stephen Colbert plans to harness his star power to help raise money for his sister’s congressional campaign in South Carolina.
Politico reported late Monday that Mr. Colbert, of Comedy Central’s Colbert Report, will host big-ticket fundraisers in Washington and New York on behalf of Elizabeth Colbert Busch, his sister.
Ms. Colbert Busch is poised to face off against the winner of the Republican runoff Tuesday between former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and former Charleston County councilor Curtis Bostic, and Green Party candidate Eugene Platt in a May 7 special election.
Her campaign released a poll from Lake Research Partners that showed she was running 3 points ahead of Mr. Sanford, and 9 points ahead of Mr. Bostic. The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percent.
The South Carolina seat opened up after South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley tapped Rep. Tim Scott to the seat that former Sen. Jim DeMint vacated to take a job at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank in Washington.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Freedom Summit unofficial start to '16 GOP primary
- Eric Cantor falls hard from good graces of conservatives
- Eric Cantor pressured to skip conference by moderate GOP group
- GOP congressman: Empower states to legalize marijuana
- Gov. Jindal: GOP 2016 White House nominee should be a governor
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.