- Number-crunchers put GOP chances of retaking Senate at 60 percent: report
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
- Fla. voters’ support for medical marijuana bodes well for ballot measure: poll
- Keith Urban concert ends in ‘nutso’ chaos, with dozens arrested, injured
- Very religious still lean toward GOP, reflecting long-term patterns, Gallup poll shows
- Fist bump becoming all the rage for germ-wary handshakers
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Chinese police tear down church cross in religion crackdown
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: ‘Obama, Obama, where are you?’
- Maine police find wife, husband, 3 children dead in home
Stephen Colbert hosting fundraiser for sister Elizabeth Busch’s congressional bid
Question of the Day
Comedian Stephen Colbert plans to harness his star power to help raise money for his sister’s congressional campaign in South Carolina.
Politico reported late Monday that Mr. Colbert, of Comedy Central’s Colbert Report, will host big-ticket fundraisers in Washington and New York on behalf of Elizabeth Colbert Busch, his sister.
Ms. Colbert Busch is poised to face off against the winner of the Republican runoff Tuesday between former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and former Charleston County councilor Curtis Bostic, and Green Party candidate Eugene Platt in a May 7 special election.
Her campaign released a poll from Lake Research Partners that showed she was running 3 points ahead of Mr. Sanford, and 9 points ahead of Mr. Bostic. The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percent.
The South Carolina seat opened up after South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley tapped Rep. Tim Scott to the seat that former Sen. Jim DeMint vacated to take a job at the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank in Washington.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- GOP 2014: Republican governors cite their economic stewardship
- Perdue, Nunn square off in race for Georgia's open Senate seat
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- Alison Lundergan Grimes hits Mitch McConnell over jobs
- Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff locked in dead heat
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- '50 Shades' movie trailer outrages anti-porn groups
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq