- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
China and U.S. militaries talk cybersecurity
U.S. and Chinese military officials held their highest-level talks in nearly two years Monday in Beijing, with cybersecurity high on the agenda.
The news came as Verizon’s annual Data Breach Investigations Report found that hackers linked to the Chinese government were far and away the most prolific and aggressive cyberspies in the world last year.
At a news conference after talks with U.S. Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Chinese Gen. Fang Fenghui pledged to work with the United States on cybersecurity because the results of a major cyberwar “may be as serious as a nuclear bomb,” the New York Times reported.
Gen. Fang said China would be willing to set up a cybersecurity “mechanism” between the two countries, but he warned that progress would be challenging.
“I know how difficult it is,” Gen. Fang said, according to The New York Times. “Anyone can launch the[se] attacks — from the place where he lives, from his own country or from another country.”
It follows close on the heels of Secretary of State John F. Kerry’s visit to China earlier this month. The back-to-back trips show how important China-U.S. relations have become, as the U.S. pivots to Asia and tensions flare on the Korean Peninsula.
The Verizon report found that of 120 incidents of government-sponsored cyberespionage the company looked into, 96 percent came from China. The source of the other 4 percent was unknown, the report’s authors said.
China has denied that it engages in state-sponsored hacking, saying it is the victim of hackers, most based in the United States.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
- Senator's memo shows Iran links in Homeland Security's troubled immigration program
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- Dems back bill to fix problems in investor visa program
- Democrats proceed with Mayorkas vote despite pending investigation
- Game players don't think peace has a chance in Syria
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear C.I.A. caught flat-footed
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes