- Associated Press - Sunday, April 7, 2013

BAGRAM, Afghanistan (AP) — Heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula have led the United States to postpone congressional testimony by the top U.S. military commander in South Korea and delay a U.S. intercontinental ballistic missile test from a West Coast base.

North Korea, after weeks of war threats and other efforts to punish South Korea and the United States for joint military drills, has told other nations that it will be unable to guarantee diplomats’ safety in the North’s capital, Pyongyang, beginning Wednesday.

U.S. Army Gen. James Thurman, the commander of the 28,000 American troops in South Korea, will stay in Seoul as “a prudent measure” rather than travel to Washington to appear this week before congressional committees, Army Col. Amy Hannah said in an email Sunday to The Associated Press.

Gen. Thurman has asked the Senate Armed Services Committee, the House Armed Services Committee and the House Appropriations subcommittee on defense to excuse his absence until he can testify at a later date.

The top U.S. military officer, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, who just wrapped up a visit to Afghanistan, said he had consulted with Gen. Thurman about the rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

Gen. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the U.S. has been preparing for further provocations or action, “considering the risk that they may choose to do something” on one of two nationally important anniversaries in April — the birth of North Korean founder Kim Il-sung and the creation of the North Korean army.


SEE ALSO: South Korea: North Korea may be preparing to test missile


Gen. Dempsey said both Gen. Thurman and South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, Gen. Jung Seung-jo, decided it would be best for them to remain in Seoul rather than come to Washington. The Korean general had planned to meet with Gen. Dempsey in mid-April for regular talks.

Gen. Dempsey said that instead of meeting in person with Gen. Thurman and Gem/ Jung in Washington, they will consult by video-teleconference.

Asked whether he foresees North Korea taking military action soon, Gen. Dempsey told The Associated Press, “No, but I can’t take the chance that it won’t,” and thus the Pentagon has bolstered its missile defenses and taken other precautions.

He said the U.S. has been preparing for further provocations or action, “considering the risk that they may choose to do something” on one of two nationally important anniversaries in April.

The Pentagon also has postponed an intercontinental ballistic missile test that was set for the coming week at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, a senior defense official told The Associated Press on Saturday.

The official said U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel decided to put off the long-planned Minuteman 3 test until April because of concerns the launch could be misinterpreted and exacerbate the Korean crisis. Mr. Hagel made the decision Friday, the official said.

North Korea’s military said this past week that it was authorized to attack the U.S. using “smaller, lighter and diversified” nuclear weapons. North Korea also conducted a nuclear test in February and in December launched a long-range rocket that could potentially hit the continental U.S.

The U.S. has moved two of the Navy’s missile-defense ships closer to the Korean Peninsula, and a land-based system is being deployed to the Pacific territory of Guam later this month. The Pentagon last month announced longer-term plans to strengthen its U.S.-based missile defenses.

The defense official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the Minuteman 3 test delay and requested anonymity, said U.S. policy continues to support the building and testing of its nuclear deterrent capabilities. The official said the launch was not put off because of any technical problems.

Story Continues →