- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Kansas public school promotes 5 Pillars of Islam
Question of the Day
Parents in Wichita, Kan., were shocked to learn a giant wall display inside their children’s elementary school was erected to promote the Five Pillars of Islam.
“The bulletin board that originally caused the concern does represent the 5 Pillars of Islam — in a historical context of their studies,” the spokesperson said.
“There is also a painting of ‘The Last Supper’ hanging in the school as part of the study of art and the Renaissance period,” the spokesperson added.
Nevertheless, the school has removed the display until the lesson is taught later in the year, Fox News reported.
School officials said the study of Islam is part of their “Core Knowledge” magnet curriculum.
Students also study Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism, Fox News said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq