- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K by unions in 2012-2013
The payments were made primarily by AFL-CIO electrical and postal workers, Politico reported. And they were sent along with the stipulation they go toward “political” or “representational” uses, Politico found.
MSNBC spokeswoman Lauren Skowronski justified the payments as advertising dollars for Mr. Schultz’s radio show, website and speaking gigs. On top of that, all the funds from his speaking engagements go to charity — an MSNBC policy, she said.
“Independent from MSNBC, Ed’s radio show and website sell advertising to a variety of clients, both union and non-union,” she said, Politico reported. “Also … Ed has donated the honorarium from speaking engagements to charity.”
Mr. Schultz has a long and lucrative history with union dollars. He was paid $199,000 in 2011, Politico reported. And after that relationship was revealed, Mr. Schultz made clear on his show that his speech-related payments go to charity.
One charity that Mr. Schultz identified as a recipient for his 2011 speeches, the American Cancer Society, confirmed that it received $100,000 from him — or about half the amount he received from unions for that year, Politico reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- In Colorado, a marijuana holiday tries to go mainstream
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- See the scathing documents detailing $600 billion squandered in Afghanistan
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.