- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
MILLER: Black Friday 2013 gun sales sixth-highest in history but lower than 2012
Question of the Day
President Obama’s determination to pass gun-control laws in his second term continues to drive people to the gun dealers.
The number of National Instant Background Checks (NICS) run on Black Friday 2013 was the sixth-most in history at 144,758, according to the FBI.
Numbers this year, however, were slightly lower than the 154,873 NICS checks run on Black Friday 2012, which fell right after Mr. Obama was re-elected. Nov. 23, 2012 ranks as the third-highest day ever for NICS checks.
Traditionally, Black Friday has been the biggest day for gun sales. But that changed after the president announced after the Newtown tragedy last December that his second term priority would be gun control.
Two things happened in response. Existing gun owners began stocking up on items that might be banned, and new gun owners entered the market out of fear. About one quarter of all gun sales are to first-time owners, according to a poll of retailers by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF).
The other top four highest days of NICS checks in history were all were in December 2012, according to the FBI.
While every NICS check does not mean a firearm was sold, it correlates closely and is a good indicator of demand. NSSF provides the manufacturing industry a more accurate count of sales activity by subtracting out applications or checks related to carry permits from the total NICS.
NSSF’s adjusted NICS shows that November 2013 was 14 percent lower than the same month in 2012 but 15 percent higher than November 2011.
This means that although the sales peak has crested, the demand floor is much higher than before Mr. Obama was re-elected and started pursuing his agenda on the federal and state level for “assault weapon” and “high capacity” magazine bans.
Each of the first six months of 2013 showed NICS checks higher than the corresponding month in 2012. The numbers slowed in June.
Nevertheless, checks were so much higher in 2013 than the previous year that it is on track to be the highest year in history.
There have already been 19,051,745 checks so far this year, and Christmas shopping is just getting started. Last year, there was a total of 19,592,303.
Put in perspective, the last year that President Bush was in office, there were 12,709,023. NICS checks have risen by more than 50 percent since Mr. Obama has been in the White House.
Mr. Obama has inadvertently become the best gun salesman in history.
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times and author of “Emily Gets Her Gun” (Regnery, 2013).
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'
- Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence