- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Alexandria deputy fatally shoots burglar in his home
Question of the Day
An off-duty Alexandria sheriff's deputy fatally shot a man he found breaking into his Fort Washington home late Tuesday, Prince George's County police said.
The deputy returned to his home, in the 8400 block of Rose Marie Drive, around 11 p.m. to discover that his front door had been forced open and a suspected burglar was inside, a police spokesman said.
"He had a confrontation with the suspect which led to the homeowner shooting the suspect," Cpl. Larry Johnson said.
The Alexandria Sheriff's Office did not identify the deputy but said he has been placed on administrative leave pending completion of investigations into the shooting.
County police have not released the identity of the man killed but said they are investigating whether one or more additional suspects may have been on the scene.
Police did not know Wednesday whether the man who was killed was armed but said the deputy shot the man with a gun that was not his service weapon.
The burglary suspect was shot inside the home but ran outside after he was shot, police said. It was unclear whether he died at the scene or at a hospital.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Andrea Noble is a crime and public safety reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GSA picks 3 sites as finalists for new FBI headquarters
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Computer glitch caused odd Saturday release of D.C. guns ruling
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world