- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Singer Chubby Checker files lawsuit over racy app
ST. PETERSBURG, FLA. (AP) - Rock and roll legend Chubby Checker is twisting mad over a software application that allowed women to estimate the size of a man’s penis based on his shoe size.
The singer, whose real name is Ernest Evans, filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Hewlett Packard and Palm Inc. in federal court in Fort Pierce, Fla., on Tuesday, saying that the app “adversely affects Chubby Checker’s brand and value.”
The app, which was called “The Chubby Checker,” was an unauthorized use of Checker’s name and trademark, the lawsuit alleges.
The app is no longer available.
Checker, who is 71 and lives in Pennsylvania, is seeking a half-billion dollars in damages and restitution.
HP issued a brief statement about the matter on Thursday.
It’s unclear how long the 99-cent app was available to customers.
According to the industry website WebOSNation, the app sold fewer than 100 copies.
“We’re going straight to the source,” said Gary.
Checker did not give permission or receive compensation from the app, which purported to be for entertainment purposes only.
The lawsuit said that Checker has received patents and trademark licenses for his name to be used for a line of snacks and other food products.
Checker’s song, “The Twist” was at the top of the Billboard charts for 18 weeks in 1960 and became an iconic tune of the era.
Follow Tamara Lush on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tamaralush
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again