- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Sequestration becomes partisan game of political chicken on the Hill
“I think we should in a bipartisan fashion stop sequestration before — in the words of the secretary of defense — it destroys the Pentagon,” Mr. Graham said. “But we can cut $1.2 trillion over the next decade without destroying the Defense Department if we choose.”
Mr. Graham suggested putting Mr. Obama’s health care overhaul — his signature domestic achievement — on the table.
“If you want to look at ways to find $1.2 trillion in savings over the next decade, let’s look at Obamacare,” he said. “Let’s don’t destroy the military and just cut blindly across the board.”
Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, said he would be open to the idea of closing tax loopholes to raise revenue, but that it is still incumbent on Mr. Obama to step forward and lead on the issue.
“Republicans deserve blame; I’ll take some blame for it,” Mr. McCain said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “But the president of the United States is supposed to lead. Why doesn’t he call people over, and we sit down and prevent the sequestration from happening and fulfill the comment he made during the campaign?”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Sherfinski covers politics for The Washington Times. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- Michael Bloomberg charts $50M challenge to NRA: 'Got to make them afraid'
- McAuliffe's PAC off to fast start, with $254,000 raised in two weeks
- Virginia Republican Bob Marshall stands by remarks that raise eyebrows
- Obama urged to enforce ban on importing military-style firearms
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.