- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Famed speedster Kurys of women’s pro league dies
Question of the Day
SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. (AP) - Sophie Kurys, who stole 201 bases in 1946 while playing in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League, has died. She was 87.
The AAGPBL Players Association said Wednesday that Kurys (kur’-reez) died Sunday after complications from surgery.
Nicknamed the “Flint Flash,” Kurys starred for the Racine Belles in the league featured in the 1992 movie “A League of Their Own.”
Kurys‘ mark of 201 steals _ in 203 attempts _ was recognized in a recent exhibit by the Hall of Fame. Cincinnati Reds prospect Billy Hamilton set the minor league mark last year with 155. Rickey Henderson holds the modern major league record with 130.
Kurys led the league in steals for seven straight years and swiped 1,114 bases in her career. Mostly a second baseman, she slid home with the winning run in the 14th inning of the 1946 championship game.
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq