- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
SCANLON: Steven Chu’s legacy of waste and failure
Why scientists make poor politicians
Question of the Day
Daniel Roth reported in Wired magazine (May 2010) that Mr. Chu considers China “the key to America’s long-term energy future. Since the U.S. and China produce some 40 percent of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions, Chu argues that far-reaching multicountry agreements aren’t really necessary … . It’s smarter to deal with China alone.”
Just picture it: The United States, teamed up with a government that has killed more of its own people than any other government in world history, in order to bully the rest of the world.
With Mr. Chu’s departure, we could have a new secretary of energy with real-world experience in the energy field and with sophisticated views about technology, business and dangerous nations such as China. More likely, though, we’ll get someone like Mr. Chu — someone who reminds us that the term “know it all” is usually sarcasm.
Terrence Scanlon is president of the Capital Research Center.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?