- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Zadzooks: Star Wars Pinball review
Action begins with a traditional text crawl seen in the movies offering a bit of background information about the conflict.
Then, with the pinball table plopped right in the middle of the Senate’s Grand Convocation Chamber on Coruscant, Anakin Skywalker in all of his three-dimensional glory pops up onto a platform to oversee the action.
Features include hitting the right targets to spell “council” to take on missions with help from Ahsoka Tano and Anakin, lots of chatter from Yoda, a clone trooper gunship ready to rescue a ball, appearances by the evil Asajj Ventress and a mini-game to train as a Clone Trooper by hitting flashing targets.
Geek Moment: Fans get to take part in an encounter between Count Dooku’s new apprentice Savage Opress (the younger brother of Darth Maul) and Anakin on the planet Toydari. That means beating the Sith Lord by shooting him off of his platform and blasting the steel ball at the correct flashing lanes during the duel to succeed.
Boba Fett — The oddest and most difficult to appreciate of the bunch, this table pays homage to arguably the most bumbling, arrogant and fiercest bounty hunter in the Star Wars galaxy.
The table features a Sarlacc Pit (get used to ball-dropping into it), a spinner with a Han Solo encased in Carbonite and a very active Boba Fett — so active that he can occasionally shoot explosives on the playing field and one of the ball saves has the hunter use his fiber cord whip to catch the ball and toss it back into play.
Geek Moment: Shoot at a seesaw contraption to wake up the TT-8L gatekeeper droid (remember the big-eyed bot questioning C-3PO at the front of Jabba’s Palace?) and open up a sinkhole. Drop balls into the hole until “Hutts” is spelled out, and the mighty Jabba pops out from behind a curtain. Get ready to take on bounties that include encounting Darth Vader and using Boba’s favorite ship, Slave I.
Overall, Star Wars Pinball is a casual gaming fan’s dream challenge (expect ten themed tables devoted to the fantasy universe this year) but requires the powers of the Force and concentration of a Jedi to unlock all of the surprises.
Although it’s often mind-bogglingly difficult, with objectives being a bit confusing, it is a perfect challenge for the purist looking for a nostalgic trip to a galaxy far, far away.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- Zadzooks: Lego The Hobbit review
- Zadzooks: Captain America: The Winter Soldier review (iPad)
- Zadzooks: Winter Soldier and Falcon Minimates review
- Zadzooks: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Black Widow figure review
- Zadzooks: Infamous: Second Son review
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.