- Obama to Central American leaders: I need help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
ALGER: Obama’s underperforming preschool plan
Head Start brings children to a standstill
Question of the Day
The solution starts by letting parents choose the early education options they think are best for their children.
Let parents who can afford it pay for whatever preschool they wish and take a dollar-for-dollar deduction off their taxes. For parents who cannot afford to do so, establish Early Education Savings Accounts, based on Arizona’s successful K-12 model. Instead of funneling more money into Head Start or other government programs, deposit what would have been spent on a child into parents’ Early Education Savings Accounts, adjusted according to family income and size.
If the benefits of preschool are as potent as hoped, proponents should have no objection to a variety of early-education options, chosen by parents and funded in a fiscally responsible way.
We know what doesn’t work. Let’s empower parents to discover what does work for their children.
Vicki E. Alger is senior fellow and director of the Women for School Choice Project at the Independent Women’s Forum and a research fellow at the Independent Institute.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab