- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
Ala. coach suspended after Michelle Obama, gay rant
Question of the Day
An Alabama high school coach and teacher has been suspended from coaching football for 10 days and from teaching his psychology class for the rest of the year, because he was recorded by a student ranting against the first lady and homosexuals.
Superintendent Jennifer Gray met with school board members in a special session Monday and decided on Bob Grisham's punishment, which also includes sensitivity training, The Blaze reports.
Mr. Grisham, Lauderdale County High School's head football coach, expressed his disdain for "Fat Butt Michelle Obama," who blamed her for the kids' "600-calorie lunches." Another student even chimed in, calling her a "big fat gorilla."
The coach went on to say that the country "is going in the wrong direction."
"You can go tell the principal, you can call the superintendent and tell her," Mr. Grisham said according to a transcript provided by Times Daily. "I don't believe in queers, I don't like queers. I don't ... I don't hate them as a person but what they do is wrong, it's an abomination against God. I don't like being around queers."
The student who recorded the tirade has not yet been revealed. Mr. Grisham been head football coach at Lauderdale County High School for the past five years.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- N.J. teen who sued parents granted restraining order against boyfriend
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare enrollees faking for freebies
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq